Talk

Advanced search

Asbestos in Marley tiles panic

(9 Posts)
Reastie Fri 13-Jan-17 14:45:19

Can anyone help me with this?

I was watching 'the great interior design challenge' last night and in one of the rooms they discovered Marley tiles under carpet and had to seal off the room and get a man from the council in with special breathing equipment/protective gear to test for asbestos in them as apparently they can have asbestos.

I'm now having a complete panic as in my last house the kitchen had Marley tiles put down probably in the 60s and dh and I had no idea they could contain asbestos and we both removed them. It was very dirty work as we hand chiselled them up one by one and they came off in many pieces with lots of dust and we had no protective clothing or masks. It took several days of work and we would have inhaled a lot of dust whilst doing it. It was about 8 years ago (although I know these things take many years to actually cause any issues).

I've tried googling to see what the chances are the tiles had asbestos but I can't find anything other than they may have done. I'm a bit of a state about what we may have unwittingly done to ourselves and although I know therwe s nothing I can do now, I was wondering if anyone knew how likely it is to have had asbestos/if there's any way I can find out if I might have related health issues.

jugotmail Fri 13-Jan-17 14:57:08

I think that programme may have caused a great deal of this kind of panic. We sat agog after they screened this as we did exactly the same as you with no idea that the damn things were dangerous. My FIL has asbesdos related lung cancer and his father also died of lung cancer so my Dh is now really fretting that he has upped his risk whilst genetically disposed. I dont have any answer but to say you are not alone in feeling more than a little worried but just be aware of your health and keep note of any changes and fingers crossed.

Reastie Fri 13-Jan-17 15:07:39

Thanks. I've looked up symptoms of asbestos issues so if I find I get them I will be on the ball to go to the gp but I read it can take 10-40 years or so for any potential symptoms. I have a member of my close family and dh a member of his close family that have both died from asbestos related cancer too and it has scared me no ends. Not the only one then. Sorry you're in the same position too jug.

lalalonglegs Fri 13-Jan-17 15:11:14

Asbestos is very dangerous if disturbed but generally mesothelioma generally develops only in those who have had prolonged or several exposures to the fibres. It is also far more likely to develop in those who smoke.

It is also worth noting that although asbestos was used in some Marley tiles, the tiles in last night's programme were "clean" and it is at least possible that yours were as well. Try not to worry flowers.

Reastie Fri 13-Jan-17 15:16:32

Thanks. We don't smoke and had exposure for just a few days <crosses fingers and toes>

venys Fri 13-Jan-17 22:02:00

As you say it's too late now and there is no knowing what was in those tiles. I am not sure what a Marley tile is but we bought a house where there was laminate type tiles underneath carpet. I had a surveyor come around and those tiles did contain asbestos so were removed professionally.

nell15 Fri 13-Jan-17 23:09:50

Is it worth ringing up the Marley factory near burton on Trent and giving them the name or number of your tiles and asking them? I'm sure they'd advise you.

dodgydonkeysdoodah Fri 13-Jan-17 23:27:43

But what would knowing do OP? Nothing but cause you years of worry and anxiety. Exposure to asbestos does not necessarily mean you'll end up with cancer, just as my grandpa smoked from age 11 until he died peacefully at 93 with hardly a day's illness in his life. The damage is done and there's nothing you can do about it now. Just put if to the back of your mind and try not to worry.

Reastie Sat 14-Jan-17 08:15:26

I don't have any clue what the make/model of the tiles were. I suppose I'm looking for someone to tell me there is an x% of it having asbestos and also if there is any kind of test to tell whether I have been exposed or to show up early effects to reduce severity of any potential health issues. I suppose neither of those are likely <sigh>.

If this post serves to inform anyone about the potential dangers so they don't do what I have done and potentially exposed themselves to asbestos then it's a good thing. I had absolutely no idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now