Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Electric underfloor heating thermostat

(6 Posts)
Sallythedog Fri 13-Jan-17 13:55:39

The thermostat seems to have stopped working, even though I can programme it, and the time/day function is correct. It's been fine for the four years it's been in place, but I was attempting to increase the temperature and while going through all the functions, at one point I got an F1 error message, which apparently means Sensor Failure.

My question is this: can I buy a new one and have it fitted by an electrician? Is it that simple? And if it is, is there anything special I should be looking for in a new one. The one I have at the moment is C&F Technics, model K12, in case that is relevant.

All help gratefully received.

PigletJohn Fri 13-Jan-17 14:12:08

there will be an overheat sensor in the floor. It is supposed to be in a pocket so it can be slid out and replaced, but I hear they are sometimes (foolishly) concreted or tiled over.

They vary by make and age. If you still have the paperwork, it should give more clues.

The makers may have a help desk.

PigletJohn Fri 13-Jan-17 14:16:55

Thinking about it, try the makers first. I believe there are also systems where the heating cable itself control overheat. I have no experience of it.

Sallythedog Fri 13-Jan-17 14:51:51

Thank you PigletJohn. It's a bathroom floor and seems to be pretty solidly tiled, so I doubt there is a pocket. The only paperwork I have is the installation/user guide, which I've worked through a couple of times (faint hope that the second time it would make a difference!). The CF website has a contact form, so I'll start there.

I appreciate your replies.

Chasingsquirrels Fri 13-Jan-17 16:42:10

My electric underfloor control (different model) stopped working after about 8 years.
I contacted the people who fitted it and they said I could just replace the controller, which they sold.
I brought one from ebay for half the price, fitted myself (basically remove old one, plug in new one, done) and it all worked again.

Sallythedog Fri 13-Jan-17 16:57:55

That's interesting Squirrels. I'm usually happy to have a go at most things, but I'm a bit wary of electrics.

I have emailed the company in the UK that is the agent for the manufacturers, but while I'm waiting for a reply, I might switch off the power and see if I can have a look at what's happening. I have the wiring diagram and initially, there are only a couple of screws holding the sensor in its housing. There is some connecting of wires to do, but it clearly shows which relate to the sensor, so I could check it's properly connected, as a start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now