Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Downsizing

(4 Posts)
Mermaidinthesea Thu 12-Jan-17 21:01:05

My 2nd marriage ended recently and I decided I'm not the marrying kind anyway, men really piss me off.
Anyway I have my house and £170 equity in it. If I stay in my current home which is a lovely house in the countryside I can pay the bills and whats left of the mortgage but will have very little left over.
I have a good job and a pension in the NHS and I'm 55.
I'm thinking of moving on and buying a two bed flat and having no mortgage now, this means I can save at least £600 a month for the future, £800 a month if I get a lodger and I can still have a garden which I love.
If I stay here I can maybe save £100 a month.
I'm really torn, I love my house but it really isn't doing much for me financially and I'm so afraid of making a big mistake given that if I wait until the mortgage is paid off in 7 years I'll have £240 equity instead of £170 but few savings.
The other alternative is to stay here and go back to work full time which would increase the money I bring home.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Girlsworld92 Thu 12-Jan-17 21:04:24

If you stay where you are would you have money for extras like holidays/emergencies such as a boiler replacement. 7 years is a long time to scrimp unless you didn't mind going back to work full time. I would make the best decision for my quality of life rather than love of the house

Mermaidinthesea Thu 12-Jan-17 21:12:31

Yes that's what I was thinking girlsworld, I'd happily go back to work full time so I might try that for a year and see what gives and if my quality of life is no better I'll move. Thanks.

Girlsworld92 Thu 12-Jan-17 21:18:26

That sounds like a really good plan. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now