Talk

Advanced search

Any Dehumidifier advice out there?

(11 Posts)
MommaBear22 Thu 12-Jan-17 14:23:11

I’m having really bad condensation/mould problems in parts of my house, particularly one of the bedrooms.

I’ve been looking at dehumidifiers and am wondering if anyone has any experience or can recommend the best solution to my problem?? xx

TobleroneBoo Thu 12-Jan-17 14:29:34

We are using a little electric one from Amazon and one of the basic ones from Homebase / Asda with is non electric - both collect huge amounts of liquid.

Longer term, we had to seal the outside of our house as moisture was getting in that way - they still collect water but walls are no longer damp

andytmums Thu 12-Jan-17 14:41:29

I had a similar problem a few years back and bought a dehumidifier from ebac. It solved the problem fairly quickly and we just leave it running all the time now with no return of the problem. Definitely not the cheapest solution on the market but it did the job for us - www.ebac.com/dehumidifiers/listings

GrowingAPea Thu 12-Jan-17 14:49:57

We had a condensation problem after insulating our house, just in one room. I got the Dimplex dehumidifier (the cheaper model, I think the only difference is that it collects less water before needing emptying).

I couldn't live without it now. I put it only for 30 mins everyday and it seems to keep things under control. It also has a setting which apparently helps to dry clothes (haven't used that setting as it obviously wouldn't be advised in a house with a damp problem). It turns off when the optimum humid level is reached or the tank is full.

Other than that, have you tried sleeping with a few windows cracked open on the latch? That really helped us too.

johnd2 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:23:27

We got a meaco one online, the smallest one, and it's great.
We just put it in the bathroom after showers, in the kitchen after cooking, and wherever we're drying clothes if it's indoors.
In the long term we're fitting a ventilation system, but for now it's doing a pretty good job without letting all the heat out.

adriennewillfly Sun 15-Jan-17 09:54:29

There are two types - dessicant and refridgerant. Get a dessicant one (assuming you are UK-based). They work at lower temperature, and slightly warm the air. The refridgerant ones work in hotter temperatures, and slightly cool the air.

PigletJohn Sun 15-Jan-17 10:41:29

Do you drape wet washing round the house?

Does your bathroom extractor fan work?

Have you got a plumbing or roof leak?

Tessticklesyourfancy Mon 16-Jan-17 09:41:01

We have a desiccant one. I'm amazed at the amount of water it pulls. We put it in our bedroom as we have an ensuite and the steam escapes straight to our room,and on to the huge window, perfect combination for condensation.

ScoopyDoo Mon 16-Jan-17 15:01:34

Also have a Meaco, the 2Ol low energy one which is pricey but recommended by Which? so went for it. Has a huge capacity so don't have to empty it too often (or could have it on constant drain if we connected a hose). It's quiet, efficient, and I have no complaints. Completely solved our condensation issues in cold, damp conservatory and great for drying washing.

johnd2 Wed 18-Jan-17 13:15:35

The compressor refrigerant ones do warm the air slightly, mine is taking over 150W plus it's condensing water out of the air, therefore warming things up. It's just physics at play, same for desiccant.

savagehk Wed 18-Jan-17 13:21:07

"We got a meaco one online, the smallest one, and it's great.
In the long term we're fitting a ventilation system, but for now it's doing a pretty good job without letting all the heat out."

^ This. Our house also has condensation damp and we have very high humidity. I think we have the bigger Meaco but we have the smaller one for the kitchen (which has its own special issues - we're rebuilding it soon!)

It is worth checking if your issue is condensation or something else though - although I believe most often it's ventilation / condensation rather than rising damp or other scaries. If it's mainly the one bedroom, any idea why? Is it colder than the others? Could there be a leak / gutter issue? Do you dry clothes in there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now