Talk

Advanced search

Cost per meter squared for an extension

(9 Posts)
mrsmortis Thu 12-Jan-17 11:24:46

Does anyone know of a site where I could get a ballpark cost per square meter price for an extension/loft conversion/etc.?

I've got several options and I just want to know if some of them are even going to be possible on our budget.

Thanks.

HomeExtender Thu 12-Jan-17 11:49:09

www.homebuilding.co.uk/extensions/

mrsmortis Thu 12-Jan-17 12:11:30

thank you

That was exactly what I needed.

shovetheholly Thu 12-Jan-17 13:32:45

The one thing I've learned so far in planning an extension is that costs really break down into two parts: the cost of the shell ('first fix') and the cost of everything on top. A lot of the figures you see about are for the shell, but the 'everything on top' can come to a significant amount more if you have expensive tastes!

Endlesslllove Thu 12-Jan-17 14:06:15

I agree, be wary of cost per metre estimates. Ours was £20k on the cost per metre but heading towards £40k all in, now that we have detailed estimates. There were so many (perfectly reasonable) additions I found the cost per metre thing a bit misleading in our case.

mrsmortis Fri 13-Jan-17 10:18:54

Thanks for the warning. I know that.

But at the moment wrong data is better than none at all. I just wanted to see if these numbers are in the same ball park as those I've been given from other sources so I can ask questions about why they differ.

HomeExtender Fri 13-Jan-17 11:55:37

If you are having building regs drawings drawn up make sure you have as much detail on them as possible so that they are included in the builder quote from the start and not a surprise down the line. Ask for the quotes to be itemised so that you can compare like for like. Good luck!

johnd2 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:48:51

1k-4k per metre. Ours came in nearly 4k.
Bear in

johnd2 Fri 13-Jan-17 21:53:54

.. mind steel doesn't add any square metres but it's really expensive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now