Talk

Advanced search

Kidderminster?

(14 Posts)
honeysucklejasmine Thu 12-Jan-17 10:02:04

We're planning a move, and Kidderminster is looking like a good bet. We've seen a few houses that look lovely, but we don't know the area at all. It feels a bit rude to ask potential new neighbours if the area has a good reputation!

Does anyone know where to avoid? We aren't bothered about living in the most illustrious part of town (prob couldn't afford to) but we don't want new friends to look slightly aghast when they find out where we live!

One house we've seen and particularly like backs on to Holy Trinity School, if anyone knows the area.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 12-Jan-17 13:18:31

Hopeful bump.

reallyanotherone Thu 12-Jan-17 13:21:46

I used to live near there and knew lots of people with children at the school.

All loved it smile

Shadowboy Thu 12-Jan-17 13:22:44

It's not somewhere I'd choose to live but it's not awful- just lacking in character

honeysucklejasmine Thu 12-Jan-17 14:12:21

Thanks, both. smile That's helpful.

Really my cousin lives nearby (but has only done so for a few months) and seemed to suggest the west side of K is better than the east. It doesn't sound like you'd agree? (Personally all the rivers on the west side make me nervous so desperately hoping there's absolutely nothing wrong with the East!)

Shadow I grew up in a post war new town, and my husband in a similar shithole town, so we're not really fussed about the architecture or character - can't be as bad as what we're used to 😂

mollie123 Thu 12-Jan-17 14:23:29

Kiddi is a bit of a joke in the west midlands as it is an industrial town (carpets!) and grew up around the most horrendous traffic system devised by man.
I have been lost in Kiddi when attempting to drive through it to get to Bewdley (which is a lovely town on the river.)
Houses are cheap and there is a railway station which will take you to 'nice places' nearby and there is the Severn Valley railway too. But if you can live with its limitations - good luck.

honeysucklejasmine Thu 12-Jan-17 14:50:46

Mollie is there anywhere nearby you would suggest instead, other than Bewdley?

mollie123 Thu 12-Jan-17 18:21:47

It really depends on how important being in or near Kidderminster is for you. There are some nice houses in Hartlebury which is south of K (it is bypassed by the A449) but I assume Worcester and the villages between Kiddie and Worcester would be expensive for housing.
Hopefully a Kiddie resident will be along soon to refute my damning indictment of the town and suggest the best places re schools/houses (and provide some guidance re the horrific 'ring' road that attempts to guide you through the town smile )

Hateloggingin Thu 12-Jan-17 18:26:02

Holy trinity school was until very recently, a private school. About 2 years ago it changed to a 'free school', same great results and reputation, no fees! It's now catchment area for getting in so being near it would be very good.

I live here op so pm me if you want to ask about a specific road.

Avoid the Rifle RAnge... Which is near Brinton's Park (park itself is fab, massive and lots to do there).

Hateloggingin Thu 12-Jan-17 18:29:22

'Backs on to' hts depends on how exactly, if it's around the Albert Road area I'd avoid. If it's the 'new-ish estate (1990s maybe?) to the left of the school off the Birmingham road, it's fine.

Houses that side (the Birmingham side) are more expensive than the other side of kidderminster due to commuting being quicker.

Avoid 'the horsefair' area

honeysucklejasmine Thu 12-Jan-17 21:08:03

Hate it's in Trinity Fields, so the road immediately to the west of the school. So yeah, couldn't get much closer.

Thanks for your input. smile off to study the map!

Hateloggingin Thu 12-Jan-17 23:06:23

Trinity fields is fine smile good side of town if you're commuting to bham. Remember if you're commuting though that the kidderminster train goes to snow hill station in bham rather than new street (there prob are ones that go to new street but I think the snow hill one is the frequent one). Depends which side of bham you need to get to.

Other nice roads by trinity fields are roden avenue and shrubbery street.

There is a new leisure complex just opened - quite cool. There is a cinema although it's quite ratty. Best cinema is at great park, about 20 mins away. Merry hill is close for shopping. Weavers wharf in kidderminster is good for smaller shopping - m&s, debenhams, next, tk maxx etc. also several shopping 'parks' with pets at home, the range, currys. West Midlands safari park is v close and great for kids.

Avoncroft is close as are several arboretums. Severn valley railway is nice. Other nice areas close but much more expensive are blakedown and Hagley. Bewdley is very nice, about 3 miles further out from kidderminster, but again more expensive and risk of flooding is high. Lots of rowing and social opportunities at thebewdley rowing club, regatta, pub and club etc.

I moved here about 15 years ago because it was better value for money than say Bromsgrove.

honeysucklejasmine Fri 13-Jan-17 15:20:37

Thanks so much, I really appreciate you help with this. I really want to get going on it asap. Just dragging the OH behind me! 😂

OrangeFluff Fri 13-Jan-17 22:13:34

I live near by, but Kidderminster has always had a bit of a reputation for being rather dull (sorry) with awful traffic. I'd try spending some time there first before commiting to it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now