Talk

Advanced search

washing machine cold?

(7 Posts)
everythingsgoingsouth Thu 12-Jan-17 07:33:52

washing is always really cold when i take it out of the machine- how would i test if it's actually being washed in hot water? the glass door stays cold too....
thanks to anyone you can help smile

Twoevils Thu 12-Jan-17 07:45:01

Listen for the fill in the powder drawer. You can pull the drawer out slightly and see if hot water is being used?

I should think the clothes would not be clean if only cold water is used?

PinkSwimGoggles Thu 12-Jan-17 07:48:55

most mashines are cold fill nowadays so will only heat the water up once filled.
washing coming out cold isn't unusual, the rinses are with cold water.
when have you checked the door? up to 20 min into the main cycle the water can still be pretty cold.

stonecircle Thu 12-Jan-17 07:54:01

Place marking as am wondering the same thing about my washing machine!

Clothes have felt really cold the last few times I've taken them out - unsure if this is because I've just never noticed before or if machine isn't heating.

PigletJohn Thu 12-Jan-17 09:37:26

They feel cold when you take them out because the rinse is in cold water, and we are now in winter, so the tapwater is particularly cold.

If the door really doesn't warm up during the wash, and you have set the machine to hot cotton wash, then the heating element might have failed. You can also tell if you open the soap drawer slightly, when it is washing hot you can smell the soapy steam.

The heating element might be "on" for about fifteen minutes near the beginning of the wash cycle. Your electricity meter will flash faster due to the increased load, just during heating. The churning motor and pump use little electricity.

stonecircle Thu 12-Jan-17 09:43:23

Finally remembered to check mine mid cycle and yes,the door was warm (on a 40 degree wash).

I guess, as you say Piglet, I've just been noticing the cold more because of the time of year.

everythingsgoingsouth Thu 12-Jan-17 20:05:58

oh thank you all, will start having a feel. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now