Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tips for house viewings in winter

(8 Posts)
Chilver Wed 11-Jan-17 18:26:01

We have just put our house on the market, not the best time of year being winter but we need to get moving! There is a large patch of mud on the grass stretch outside our front door - grass hasn't grown through yet. And the garden, lovely in summer with perennials etc, looks pants. I am decluttering as much as possible and have bought a few bedding plants (limited availability right now!) for planting in our pots outside the front door.

What are your tips to make the house (inside and out) as appealing as possible for viewings?

Applesauce29 Wed 11-Jan-17 19:41:16

Clean and tidy, warm (but not stuffy), fresh flowers / pots of herbs in kitchen. Bins emptied so not smelly.

Ilovecaindingle Wed 11-Jan-17 19:42:31

Have you got any photos of your garden looking its best you could have to hand for viewers?

Chilver Wed 11-Jan-17 19:54:16

Thanks for responses. Yes, will have fresh flowers etc on display. And bins emptied (have a list as long as my arm that need doing before first viewing on saturday!) I'll see if I can dig out some nice photos -most will include a small child though which wouldn't be ideal!

NigellasGuest Wed 11-Jan-17 20:04:42

Can you pot up some wintery colourful plants for the patio? Cyclamen etc?
And pull out dead stuff from the borders, tidy up, rake the lawn, sweep paths/patio. It will make a difference! Good luck!

wowfudge Wed 11-Jan-17 20:36:01

Trim any hedges or shrubs that need it to neaten them up. Get some mini narcissi, etc to plant with your bedding plants in containers - reliable winter colour. Don't rake the lawn if it's wet - use a leaf blower to get leaves off.

notthe1Parrot Wed 11-Jan-17 21:23:04

We were advised to have side lamps on in each room, and especially put on the under-cupboard ones in the (very small) kitchen, even though it was a light house. I have to say it did make the house look much more attractive on entering. Obviously clean and tidy, heating on but not too hot, children and dogs absent if possible!

We sold in Nov/Dec so dark by 4pm, hence the need for careful lighting.

ClarkL Thu 12-Jan-17 17:26:37

Garden: Ensure the garden is free of fallen leaves and hedges are cut. Does the fence need painting at all. I believe borders are vital to be clean and tidy.

Entrance: is there space for coats, boots brollies, is there room for people to enter, take coats off etc - those things in winter are far more important than spring/summer as it really is peoples first impression of the home.

Lounge: Any snuggly blankets on the sofa? Candles dotted about to make it feel cosy.
If you can get some planted narcissi perhaps some of those on window cills to show spring is coming

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now