Talk

Advanced search

What would put you off?

(35 Posts)
BigBadWolves Wed 11-Jan-17 16:21:19

http://propertypal.com/419258

If you were viewing this property what would be screaming at you?

PurpleDaisies Wed 11-Jan-17 16:23:44

It's very old fashioned. Am I missing something?

BigBadWolves Wed 11-Jan-17 16:25:13

m.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/41343691

Luckystar1 Wed 11-Jan-17 16:29:16

Bedroom 3 is very small... hall is very dark and the wall paper in the hall looks like it's either put up really badly or there's something weird going on with the wall.

Otherwise it just needs decorative updating I'd say

lokisglowstickofdestiny1 Wed 11-Jan-17 16:30:33

I'd agreed that it's very dated in places. I've no idea about the area so don't know whether the price is reasonable considering you would need to replace the kitchen and completely redecorate.

Luckystar1 Wed 11-Jan-17 16:31:53

You also can't access the garage with a car but not an issue as cars are rarely put in garages these days

PurpleDaisies Wed 11-Jan-17 16:32:38

Are there wooden ceilings?

It that your house op or are you looking to buy it?

Surreyblah Wed 11-Jan-17 16:33:25

Dated decor throughout. Kitchen and bathroom need replacing which costs £££. Not far from what looks like a big road. "Recent improvements" of heating etc implies that elderly people have recently moved out and done the minimum in order to seek to sell.

TDmoocher Wed 11-Jan-17 16:33:25

If that was an area I was looking to live in there's nothing that would make it a firm no for me. The decor isn't to my taste and I hate carpet in a bathroom but it's all cosmetic work that can be rectified.

If that house was in Surrey for that price you'd have 6000 interested grin

selfishcrab Wed 11-Jan-17 16:35:17

Needs updating, kitchen really needs doing and maybe extending and no bath.
All of this to me would say I needed to spend money. That is ok if the place is priced at the lower end of the areas market value as you don't know what lurks under wallpaper.

TDmoocher Wed 11-Jan-17 16:36:13

Actually is there a bathtub? If there wasn't that would potentially put me off. Whilst long term I would want to redo the bathroom, short term I'd need a bathtub as I have a toddler.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 11-Jan-17 16:36:30

It's very dated. But if it's the right price to make a few improvements, that wouldn't put me off. If it's the correct price for a pristine property in the area, then I wouldn't expect it to be in that condition.

flownthecoopkiwi Wed 11-Jan-17 16:37:32

Little but cheap! I'd knock kitchen into dining room. No utility but nice outside and environment.

BigBadWolves Wed 11-Jan-17 16:37:51

I'm looking to buy, but have gone a bit house blind in my desperation. Trying to decide whether to view or not. Losing the will to live. Hadn't noticed the garage thing at all. DB suggests it's a dead persons house 🤦🏼‍♀️

TrustySnail Wed 11-Jan-17 16:39:55

The need to redecorate, and the fact it's wallpapered so it can't just be given a quick coat of paint.

It also looks a bit dark in the pictures - I don't think the dark wood furniture is doing it any favours there. Getting rid of some of the pictures, ornaments and occasional-table type things might contribute to a more airy, spacious appearance.

I can't see any signs of a bath - just the walk-in shower - that would put me offpersonally, but probably not much you can do about that.

On the plus side it looks well kept and a good size, and nice external appearance too.

PurpleDaisies Wed 11-Jan-17 16:40:22

Our first house looked very much like that when we bought it. As long as the heating and electrics are sound it isn't actually that hard to fix. Lots of stripping, plastering and painting. Have you got budget for dealing with the decor?

I agree with your dh, it does look like a house where the owner has died or gone into a care home.

Abraiid2 Wed 11-Jan-17 16:41:19

Probably is an elderly person's house, perhaps they have gone into care. But it looks a loved and cared-for house.

Salumeria Wed 11-Jan-17 16:41:57

The kitchen would hugely put me off, it's really small, and don't like the fact that most of it seems like a corridor, and the cooker being right by the back door.
So I would know that I needed definitely to spend out for work on the kitchen - extending, knocking through to the dining room etc.

I wouldn't be put off by the dated decor.

lokisglowstickofdestiny1 Wed 11-Jan-17 16:42:47

I can see what your husband means - it's got older people furniture in it and I did do a double take when I saw the estate agent blurb said it had been updated. It's nothing that can't be fixed though if the price is right.

Surreyblah Wed 11-Jan-17 16:44:08

Depending on what's under the decor it could cost a lot to make it "naice".

namechangedtoday15 Wed 11-Jan-17 16:45:03

Whoever did the floor plans wants shooting?! The room dimensions are completely different but they look as if they're the same width, the bathroom looks tiny but actually if the dimensions are correct, its a decent size for a bathroom, and the dimensions / way that the kitchen is drawn is completely at odds. That needs sorting immediately! Photos aren't much better.

And yes its tired and old fashioned but I anticipate the price reflects that.

user1483387154 Wed 11-Jan-17 16:47:08

Mainly the fireplaces (I would have to get them replaced straight away) and the dated decor, again a lot of money to spend on updating it and it looks very dark.
Also missing a bath, for me personally I like to have both a bath and a shower

TrustySnail Wed 11-Jan-17 16:49:34

This might not be your cup of tea, but creating a spreadsheet has always helped me with 'house blindness' (I've moved 4 times in the last 20 years due to work). List the features you want and give them a score (eg. out of 10) each; you can also add a multiplier to reflect how important that feature is to you. Finally, any negatives can be subtracted. This gives you a total which can help you compare the houses you have seen (alongside your gut feelings, of course).

BigBadWolves Wed 11-Jan-17 16:51:20

Yea, the bath thing is a bit annoying, but probably could live without. Also hadn't noticed the hob being at the back door.

I like the garden...maybe that will swing it somehow 🙈

PurpleDaisies Wed 11-Jan-17 16:52:09

Have you viewed it? Sometimes you just get a feeling as soon as you walk in...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now