Talk

Advanced search

Packing boxes

(20 Posts)
shalalala Tue 10-Jan-17 22:18:03

We are due to move house in the next few weeks so have to started the dreaded job of packing up. Can anyone recommend approx how many boxes we might need for a standard 3 bed and the best place to get these from? Thought we should start and pack up this weekend so will need some boxes before we have our removal company confirmed. Thanks!

wowfudge Tue 10-Jan-17 22:20:32

The removal company will probably provide them for you - they take them back afterwards. If you can afford the extra, pay for a full packing service. It is so much less work and stress for you.

specialsubject Tue 10-Jan-17 22:53:04

Try freecycle. You need to move fast but if you get lucky it saves a fortune. Then relist it when done.

Testificateman Tue 10-Jan-17 22:57:07

Try your local lidl or aldi. Ask for non food boxes. As for how many? How long is a piece of string?

Cariadity Tue 10-Jan-17 22:57:46

I've always used the banana boxes from morrisons, they are often under the tills or ask someone in the produce area. They have been really helpful in the past. They are really sturdy and stack perfectly. Some have a gap in the bottom but the paper covers it and only small nik-naks could fall out.

FudgeyCookie Wed 11-Jan-17 00:28:52

We also use the banana boxes from Morrisons, they stack lovely and dp can use his sack truck to move them around!

knackeredpelvicfloor Wed 11-Jan-17 11:25:32

I helped recently with a move and got the top tip to get empty fries boxes from McDonalds. They are smaller than normal but that means you don't overload them and they are very sturdy. Local McDonalds flatpacks their empties and stores them out back so I was told to drop by of an evening and collect them. I must have got about 100 boxes from them over a few days for free. Best boxes we had for the move.

OOAOML Wed 11-Jan-17 11:58:09

Our removal company came round to quote for the move based on approx. volume of stuff, then provided boxes whilst we still had a provisional move date.

sleepyMe12 Wed 11-Jan-17 11:59:27

Lidl had some in this week

Youremywifenow Wed 11-Jan-17 13:12:23

Look on freecycle, always someone giving moving boxes away.
Our removal company estimated no. of boxes when they quoted

wohmum Thu 12-Jan-17 08:09:50

There are plenty of companies on Amazon selling packing boxes - loads cheaper than the likes of shurgard and co storage places

WhatHaveIFound Thu 12-Jan-17 08:12:05

Check Freecycle or your local FB Community page as there's always someone posting about packing boxes. I swear there are ones in my area that change hands on a weekly basis!

PlaymobilPirate Thu 12-Jan-17 08:13:59

My local Lidl are selling packing boxes this week! Not sure on price though.

Sofassogood Thu 12-Jan-17 10:11:56

I bought boxes from Argos recently which are good but £20 for 10 and they are small (ideal for books). Wait if you can for the removal company as they will loan you what you need. You could spend the time this weekend chucking stuff out instead so there's less to move!

cherrytree63 Sat 14-Jan-17 09:06:32

Lidls have packing boxes, tape and dollies this week.
Costco always have them, if you're a member or know someone who is.
I found the bird seed boxes in Lidls perfect for packing books in, and I just taped card on the top (old pizza boxes were perfect)!
I bought a load of boxes second hand from a local seller on ebay, there's plenty of new boxes on there too.

JT05 Sat 14-Jan-17 10:56:10

We used strong bags for life ( pic type) to put books in. You can't overfill them and the handles make they easy to carry. Clothes an linen were put in the cheap zipped laundry bags. Different designs for different items.
The removal firm provided cardboard boxes, which they didn't want back, so we unpacked slowly.

JT05 Sat 14-Jan-17 10:57:01

* PVC type.

southwest1 Sat 14-Jan-17 13:24:53

I had a two bed and the removal company packed for me and used almost 100 boxes. It was a £60 box deposit that you get back if they collect them, but I'm not sure if there was a time limit on that.

If you are anywhere near Liverpool I have them all in my shed still!

thenewaveragebear1983 Sat 14-Jan-17 21:50:29

We probably used 100, of varying sizes. B&q sell large ones for £2 each but except for kitchen stuff we found they held too much and were too heavy. A variety of smaller ones from other stores were better. Home base give away packaging boxes, we used banana crates for books (wind round them with cling film and tape to hold the books in).

OhIfIMust Sun 15-Jan-17 21:06:07

I would also vote for banana boxes. Easy to pack, sturdy, easy to carry - and free from any supermarket.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now