Talk

Advanced search

Will a townhouse work for a young family?

(7 Posts)
anyname123 Mon 09-Jan-17 17:13:36

Seen a 10 year old townhouse, low maintenance, within budget etc, just can't decide if it would work.
Ground floor is kitchen, dining room and "small" lounge, plus loo.
1st floor is huge lounge and master bedroom with en suite.
Top floor are two further bedrooms and family bathroom.
I like the feel of the house, I imagine we'd spend family time in small luge on ground floor, and once LO in bed possibly relocate to big lounge get on 1st floor. Eventually small lounge would become play room / kids lounge.
Does anyone else have a family in a townhouse, or moved from one as it didn't work?
Any help much appreciated.

Tiberius12 Mon 09-Jan-17 18:20:37

We live in a 3 story townhouse with DD almost 2 and it works really well. We use the small living room downstairs as a playroom which is perfect for keeping most of the toys in and means the upstairs living room isn't full of toys. I was wary at first about sleeping on a different floor to DD but you soon get used to it, and I can hear her easily enough in the night. One downside is you need lots of stairgates!

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Mon 09-Jan-17 18:25:44

We switched rooms around in our townhouse so that it would work for us better.

Ground floor = living room/kitchen/large reception hall/bathroom
1st floor= Main bedroom with ensuite, Guest room with ensuite (smaller room but was originally the nursery so that we were all on one floor) and an office/grown up sitting room
2nd floor= Once DD was old enough she graduated upstairs where there is 2 bedrooms a library and a family bathroom.

With a 7 year old we notice that this house is great for playdates as if the children are on the top floor then we can barely hear them on the ground floor. I also like that our kitchen/main living area isn't on the 1st floor as seems to be common with many townhouses as it means DD can come in and out as she pleases and I can keep an eye out from the window/be there in a minute rather than rushing downstairs and losing sight of them.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Mon 09-Jan-17 18:29:28

We hava townhouse. It's great but I do recommend teaching little ones to crawl up and down stairs safely as young as possible!

anyname123 Mon 09-Jan-17 20:01:16

Thank you all so much, really appreciate your feedback

MoreProseccoNow Tue 10-Jan-17 18:58:08

This is my 2nd townhouse with a young family. My only bugbear with my current layout is that there is only a dining room & kitchen on the ground floor, so I spend a lot of time running between the lounge & kitchen on separate floors. And the ground floor can be quite chilly in the winter.

I've had both young kids in townhouses & it really is only a safety issue a short time (a year or so at most). Both DC just became more proficient at stairs. I only used a stair gate over the lounge door & DD's bedroom.

The top floor is really cozy & I can use the 4th bedroom on the top floor as a spare room/laundry area.

Oly5 Tue 10-Jan-17 19:50:59

We have a townhouse with young kids and love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now