Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Conservatory - please show my yours

(13 Posts)
PeppaPigStinks Mon 09-Jan-17 12:42:11

We are looking at getting a conservatory on the back of our house. I know the pros and cons but think this is the best option for us now.

Due to the soil pipe we can only go as wide as 2.5 metres.
It will be 3.5 metres long.

Please can you show me pictures of your small conservatories to see how they are decorated / designed. A google search isn't giving me much.

I am worried it won't be very useable.

Soon2bC Mon 09-Jan-17 13:49:03

nothing to add but hoping to be in the same position as you soon so placemarking. we want a conservatory with a solid roof which apparently is something you can have now

Boulshired Mon 09-Jan-17 13:57:14

Useage depends on will it be a stand alone room on an extension of an exsisting room. Mine is similar size and leads from my old dining room. It has had many purposes. It was a good playroom and now it is a dining and study area of my second living room. It is identifying and not houzz standard but I can PM photos.

littlejoshua Mon 09-Jan-17 14:57:17

hi

my only advice would be think about what you want to use it for and when during the year.

we bought a 4 bed detached house with a "standard" conservatory on the back which is fully glazed on all 3 sides and has a plastic roof.

This means during the summer its boiling in there and during the winter its freezing. remember no radiators in a conservatory.

if we were in the situation where we were replacing it or building a new one, if you budget allows, then I would look at building a brick extension with a proper roof giving you an all year round usable room, or looking into one of these conservatory's with the more permanent roofs rather than a plastic one.

as with most of these things its all down to how much you've got to spend.

hope that helps

BackforGood Mon 09-Jan-17 15:00:20

Id agree with LittleJoshua - our house had a conservatory on when we bought it. It's an odd shaped house, and is useful as a 'corridor' to what would otherwise been outhouses but are now a very useful utility and storage, but other than that it's only useful for storing things such as the ironing board and the vacuum, and for drying clothes.
It's too hot or too cold to use as a room for 98% of the time.

dandeliondelilah Mon 09-Jan-17 17:15:15

Ours is lean-to in style and a very similar size: big enough for a small coffee table and a couple of armchairs, plus another low table with a few hardy house plants on. This is how it was set up for viewings when we bought this house. Not much space for anything else as you have to have space to pass through it in order to access the garden.
The idea is nice, but the reality is we never use it apart from a useful covered dumping area (looking out there now I have a cat litter tray, some exercise equipment: weights etc belonging to DH, two large empty cardboard boxes, a few pairs of old trainers and boots, a mop and a couple of empty buckets. It's too cold to think of lingering in from October to April. Then way too hot all summer, like a radiator on the back of the house just when you don't want one!
If you want to go ahead with a conservatory, please, please consider a lightweight insulated, tiled roof which would keep the worst of the sun off in the summer and stop the fading / perishing of anything left out there in the extreme heat.
We hope to replace ours with a proper brick built room when we can afford it.

user1471549018 Tue 10-Jan-17 19:26:40

Ours is roughly the same size as yours. French doors open out into it from the dining room, and opposite them we have a further set of doors opening onto the garden. On one side we have a billy bookcase, sofa and side table. On the other we have a fold up table for crafts and a whicker basket for shoes. We have a glass roof and UFH and it is a lovely place to sit grin

PeppaPigStinks Tue 10-Jan-17 20:20:58

Thank you for the replies.

Some have suggested going bigger but I guess we will just fill the space and we want it clutter free!

Have you got blinds/ roof openings?

MiaowTheCat Wed 11-Jan-17 09:29:01

We use ours basically as an extension to the living room with the doors open all year around, and we've got a radiator in there. It's got our dining table in there and actually gets used as a dining room rather than a dumping ground with a dining table in it. Our living room would be very very cramped if we didn't have the extra space so it's really worth it for us.

Roof's a bit noisy when it rains but I kind of like the rain noise so doesn't bother me.

Etak15 Wed 11-Jan-17 09:38:49

Ours was here when we bought the house, is quite a decent size at first was used as a dumping ground while we were doing kitchen/bathroom diy etc! Now I have a lovely sofa and chairs (an eBay bargain!) in there and my tumble dryer but really if it wasn't there and we needed more space I would just build an extension as the Conservatory is freezing in winter and boiling in summer the only time we do sit in it is maybe in evening in summer, or in spring autumn when it's a bit nippy inside but the sunshine makes it nice temp in the conservatory.
If I could knock it down I would have an extension with a couple of glass windows in the roof and bi-fold doors.

PeppaPigStinks Wed 11-Jan-17 19:56:44

Oooh these sound positive. What size are they?

A few people have suggested going bigger but my worry is we would fill it with crap!

TalkinPeace Wed 11-Jan-17 21:16:30

Mine is a 3m by 3m south facing reverse lean to (as in the roof slopes up away from the house)
but its entirely full of plants so not like most other folks

Sofassogood Wed 11-Jan-17 23:23:15

I often sit outside in the winter with a cup of tea so I can't imagine a conservatory with a heater would be colder than that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now