Talk

Advanced search

Stupid question about taps

(8 Posts)
BrillianaHarvey Mon 09-Jan-17 08:28:13

Considering a freestanding bath with back to wall. Really like industrial-looking wall-mounted taps.
Where does the pipe work go? Can in be chased into the wall or do you have to build a false wall out to conceal it? Space is tight: the bathroom is 250x230, but a tall window on one wall makes it unusable so we have to fit the basin at the end of the bath on the 250cm wall and the loo and shower down the 230cm wall. So 75cm for bath and 76 for loo gives us a max depth of 79 cm for shower (which will be 100cm wide) - so we absolutely can't lose anything from the 230cm, if that makes sense.

NotMeNoNo Mon 09-Jan-17 08:45:26

The pipes can be chased in to the wall and then filled/tiled; we did this. Taps may come with a frame to be attached to wall, makes the fitting stronger, in case people use taps to lean on when getting out of the bath.

BrillianaHarvey Mon 09-Jan-17 08:55:13

That's brilliant, thank you.
What taps did you go for?
Also, do you have any views on bathtubs? After a visit to Bathstore husband is being very anti acrylic baths, but a cast-iron or stone one would add £££ to the budget. I am firmly of the view that a good-quality acrylic bath that hasn't been sitting in a showroom should be fine in terms of scuffs and scratches, but I need to convince him.

NotMeNoNo Mon 09-Jan-17 09:23:29

It was a few years ago, taps were just some end of line Bristan from ebay - bit like but without the shower hose bit. Could not decide on traditional or modern so ended up somewhere in the middle!

We have a Kaldewei steel bath not a freestanding one - are you sure the freestanding bath will look OK squeezed into a small room? A standard fitted bath is 70cm wide. I think I'd go for acrylic if I was in the market for a freestanding one.

It's a lot of extra work for the plumber fitting wall mounted taps, have you got brick or plasterboard walls do you know? It was a mate of ours doing it, I felt a bit bad because they were a pig to line up and get right and then you have to tile round them. Bath with tap holes is a fraction of the work.

BrillianaHarvey Mon 09-Jan-17 11:05:18

That's very interesting and helpful. I think you may well be right re freestanding bath, but husband has set his heart on it (it's his bathroom). Pretty sure the wall is brick.
I want the room to have some wow factor on a relatively modest budget and had thought snazzy taps could be the answer. Aargh.

Testificateman Mon 09-Jan-17 19:36:03

When chasing the pipes into the wall, make sure the plumber doesn't use flexible pipes, or you might end up with an expensive problem in a few years.

JillyTheDependableBoot Tue 10-Jan-17 10:21:33

Have a look on eBay for second hand/reclaimed cast iron baths smile

BrillianaHarvey Tue 10-Jan-17 22:45:37

Good idea. Have been told that the weight issue is a myth, but not sure I have the confidence to go ahead regardless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now