Talk

Advanced search

Deciding what to do

(17 Posts)
Finelinebetweenchaos Sun 08-Jan-17 09:01:33

Quick background: last Year we moved house. It's big but has a weird layout and we want to make some changes and install a new kitchen which is sorely needed as the existing one is falling apart and very dated. However, we are finding t hard to decide how best to redo the awkward space. We know we want to knock down a couple of walls to make a more open plan kitchen diner but there are a few areas we just can't figure out what to do and some of my ideas may just not work. I have spoken to architects, architectural designer, interior designers and builders but no one has really been able to suggest anything terribly exciting. Back then I had an idea and they all just said they could deliver that but I want someone to see the full potential and help me transform the space but with a mind to how it will look and function when it's all finished. At the moment we have quite a few "dead" zones and I want to make it work on a very practical level.

I am struggling to visualise the final rooms at the moment and don't know what is structurally possible. What should I do? Should I try again with another architect? Or is this interior design? Or is there another resource I don't know about?

Hope this makes sense!

user1471549018 Sun 08-Jan-17 09:28:07

Sounds like you haven't found the right professional for you yet. Architects or designers would both be suitable. It's also worth remembering they won't give you all of their ideas on the first free consultation. Have you actually paid for any plans yet? I'd go with someone who offers 3D visualisations too. Houzz is a great way to search for professionals in your area and see recommendations and projects they've done. Some also work online these days. I think whoever you go with it will take a lot of work between you before you are 100% happy with the plan, so seeing their previous projects may be the best way to trust they will do the same for you.

LadyPenelopeCantDance Sun 08-Jan-17 09:33:11

I second PP re Houzz. They are kind of like Pinterest for houses, but with a forum and local professionals too.

It could be an idea posting on their forum with floor plans and professionals and users can comment ideas or offer their services.

Finelinebetweenchaos Sun 08-Jan-17 09:40:43

Thanks both! I have browsed Houzz but haven't thought of doing that.

No, I haven't paid anyone yet and didn't expect them to actually give me the ideas in a free consultation but no one gave me any confidence / indication that they actually HAD any more ideas iyswim. I'm very happy to pay for it just want to make sure I get what I need out of it.

MrsJamin Sun 08-Jan-17 09:46:53

You need @oneplanonhouzz ... Hoping tagging helps.

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 08-Jan-17 10:45:39

Oooh - I just got an email calling me to chat ! Thank you for tagging me mrsJamin ! flowers
If you look on Houzz for my name there's a page with drawings etc that might give you some ideas ?

Tigerpig Sun 08-Jan-17 11:30:29

Sorry to Jump on the tread, but just wanted to say to oneplan that I've started following you on Houzz. We are about to move and are thinking of some internal reconfiguration so I think you might be able to help in due course (i.e. When we eventually get the money together to fulfil our plans!)

Finelinebetweenchaos Sun 08-Jan-17 11:49:11

Thanks Houzz! I will do. Struggling a bit with the app but will have a look on the laptop!

Need to figure out how to put up a floor plan. I have a paper one so will take a photo and upload that

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 08-Jan-17 12:05:56

Be prepared for useful help - and maybe the odd weird comments too !! Make sure your real contact details aren't visible on any thing you post up !!

Happy to gain an extra follower TigerPig ! smile

I will try and pop on and have a look too ...

MrsJamin Sun 08-Jan-17 19:19:53

That's exciting that tagging worked! OP upload a plan on this thread, often mumsnetters have good ideas about how to reconfigure a space.

YelloDraw Sun 08-Jan-17 19:54:37

Yeah upload a plan and what you are looking for - people love a floor plan design!

Finelinebetweenchaos Sun 08-Jan-17 20:06:52

Thanks so much all!! I am going to investigate Houzz properly!

I will upload a pretty crap floorplan so you can get the gist. It's just something I have drawn and is not totally to scale (and no measurements anyway so totally useless) but gives an idea. This is not the current floor plan, this is what I think I want to do but there are a few question marks!

Basically, I am wondering what to do with the fireplace in the living room because it makes the room a bit awkward but it's nice to have one. Or do we lose it entirely and make the room totally open plan!? Is it possible to run a flue along the ceiling and have a wood burning stove agains the wall? And if we do that maybe we should move the door to the living room up a bit.

And I don't know what to do with the long thin part of the kitchen at the front alongside the stairs. It's a narrow space about 1.5/2m wide max. Can I divide it off from the kitchen without losing light as there is a window at the end and it's nice having the dual aspect windows. It's hard to understand from this but it's an awkward space. I wonder if it could be a sort of study area but I just can't visualise it. I am also wondering if we should open up under the stairs and maybe put washing machine under there somehow so it's not in the kitchen (I always wanted a utility room but the house is quite dark and and there is no logical place to put one unless you build a wall somewhere which I don't want to do). I did think we could maybe extend out the front to make a larger hall / porch area when you enter the house....

The kitchen will have a large island with breakfast bar in the bit heading to the dining room and cabinets etc along the wall.

Liara Sun 08-Jan-17 20:16:20

I would turn the narrow space along the stairs into a utility room. You can have a door with some frosted glass panes on it so you don't lose all the light.

I would keep the fireplace, but perhaps replace it with something open to both dining and kitchen? Like this or
this

Finelinebetweenchaos Sun 08-Jan-17 20:25:29

I love those double sided stoves! DH and I have already been chatting about them. They look so cool!

Liara do you mean build a wall across the bottom of the long thin space and turn the end of it into a utility room? We have thought of this but it means the utility room will be at the front of the house with a massive window in it. Which is why I wasn't so keen. I wonder if I can do something along / under the stairs though

Liara Sun 08-Jan-17 20:32:26

Without measurements it's hard to say, but you could either do that or have a small room at the front with the window, then the utility and then the kitchen. How long is the long bit?

Do you have a downstairs loo at all? I'd try to fit one in if you can.

Finelinebetweenchaos Sun 08-Jan-17 20:44:45

I want to avoid building any walls in that long space if possible because it's already quite dark because there are no windows along the sides of the room. That said, this is DH's preferred option! We are in discussion!

I think thelong bit is about 8-10m. I have the measurements somewhere but am currently trapped under a snoozing toddler.

We do have a downstairs loo - it's off the dining room I just didn't include it as we won't be changing it.

Liara Tue 10-Jan-17 19:13:13

Wow, that is really very long!

I guess you could just do a utility section of the kitchen, continuing the units and worktop from the kitchen on one side with the washing machine and dryer under the counter.

Pros:
You don't have to build any walls
You don't lose the light from the window at the front
Would be pretty handy for coming in and dropping shopping

Cons:
With that length, I think it could prove a pretty expensive way to do it
That area might become a bit of a corridor leading to the kitchen (you may not mind this)
You can't use it to hide mess (I'm messy, so this would bother me!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now