Talk

Advanced search

Vendor has left numerous possessions....

(16 Posts)
Bearberry Sat 07-Jan-17 21:54:53

Apologies for such a long post but some background seems necessary as to not drip feed. Our vendors have been seriously hardwork through out the entire process. We live in a small town where everyone knows everyone at least indirectly. They chose a online estate agency who were stringing along the process of us putting in an offer so we ended up contacting the vendor directly. Turned out the agency were lying to the vendor too and they decided to cut them out. So from that stage of offer being accepted we have had no agent.

They are purchasing a vacant flat which is part of an estate, and is literally round the corner from the house we have brought from them.

Due to several delays with the top of the chain we eventually insisted they break the chain or we would pull out. We had been ready to exchange for 4 months by now and it was delay after delay with their purchase which we know via our solicitor on many occasions they were downplaying or outright lying about.

They finally broke chain and we exchanged before Christmas (22/12) with completion date for 6/1. We arranged to collect the keys at 1pm (a time they suggested). I understood that they were initially looking to move into their new purchase early and 'rent' it from their vendor until that purchase was completed. Therefore we assumed as they wouldn't be waiting on their keys that day it should be quite a smooth process.

However they didn't leave until 3 pm andhave left 4 van loads of possessions and rubbish in the house and garden. The house was also completely filthy (think uncleaned loo, food in the sink...)

We have spent hours cleaning and packing the remainder of their stuff before we could start to move our own. Fortunately we are moving from a rented place so have the whole weekend. After several requests to come and pick up stuff first thing this morning, only one of the vendors arrived around midday. He is unwell and was unable physically to move items. So we loaded van for him on 3 occasions and then moved last van load onto street in front of house to allow space for our items. When he returned we offered to load van again for him but he angrily announced he was taking no more of the furniture and we would need to dispose of it. Needless to say none of these items were on the fixtures listing to remain.

So now we have a van loads worth of rubbish and furniture outside of the house to dispose of...

We have now changed the keys as we don't trust the vendors at all and feel they may well have a spare set.

Now here's the point I guess... they've left a motor bike in our shed at the back of the garden. I fully expect they will want to come and pick it up as they've mentioned it several times. We have them ample opportunity today but they didn't take it on any of the trips back. We feel like if they're willing to blatantly leave all of their old crap and point blank refuse to collect it then they can leave the motor bike too? We can't really stand off with them over the rubbish as it's literally in the street and we will need to move it. However I don't see why they should have the bike!

Am I being petty and angry? Is it worth the fued? Any ideas on the legal standpoint?

Also they informed us today that they have moved into their new flat but not informed their vendor and they are not due to complete till the 13th. So they are basically squatting. I know they got the keys from the estate agents in order to have plumber in so I can only imagine they either intentionally left place unlocked so they could have access or they have had keys cut. Wondering whether we should do something with that information?!

Fourbyfour Sat 07-Jan-17 21:57:36

Contact your solicitor, I assume you had one? It's very clear you're not allowed to leave behind waste or any possessions not included on the items list. You can charge them for waste removal via your solicitor.
I'm not sure re the bike. Yes they should have removed it by now, but not sure what legal problems you could get into by selling it.

greathat Sat 07-Jan-17 21:57:52

I believe that anything left belongs to you, but you should be able to bill them to remove it? Although I think that's easier said than done

Testificateman Sat 07-Jan-17 22:01:55

Contact your solicitor and bill the vendor for your time and removal/disposal of their shite.

GTS Sat 07-Jan-17 22:02:23

I think you need to involve the solicitor asap. You could tell the vendor that once they've removed the rubbish they can have their bike back, failing that it will be sold to pay for the rubbish removal. It might work it might not, and you do need to be mindful that they know where you live so it might not be worth the potential aggro.

Bearberry Sat 07-Jan-17 22:04:14

Yep that's what we were thinking, an approach of you can't have the bike till you move your crap. However we would now need to move back in house and store for them until they agreed to collect or we got solicitor to hassle them into it hmm

Bearberry Sat 07-Jan-17 22:04:34

Will definitely get onto solicitor Monday...

wowfudge Sat 07-Jan-17 22:06:10

We had this. Twice. First time things taken that shouldn't have been plus a skip full of crap we had to dispose of. Second time lots of things we weren't expecting left. It is a pain in the neck.

In your circumstances, keep the moral high ground and contact your solicitor to get this resolved. Ultimately, you may have to decide whether to move on or take legal action.

milpool Sat 07-Jan-17 22:07:36

AFAIK the stuff is basically yours. Your property, they left it there... they can't lay a claim to it.

My friends had a similar situation, their vendors left a cellar full of crap for them to shift.

Can you speak to your solicitor and see what they say?

As far as the squatting goes, I'd keep quiet on that. Rise above. Nothing to do with you!

greathat Sat 07-Jan-17 22:42:37

If its furniture that's decent that you don't want put a post on your local facebook group and say free to whoever comes and gets it

Bearberry Sat 07-Jan-17 22:45:25

Sadly it's a load of old broken or poor quality stuff.

RaisingSteam Sun 08-Jan-17 10:10:35

Some people are just hopeless but you have already been beyond helpful.

We moved into a house filled with crap and filthy like that, to be fair it was two elderly blokes and they were not coping very well. We got solicitors to negotiate the vendor would pay costs of rubbish removal, and got a "man and truck" in. Was two loads! We had enough to do with the cleaning.

We did come out of it with a few good tools and a ladder grin.

So perhaps you could get the bike moved (a motorbike recovery company will do this without damaging the bike) and the rubbish cleared, and get vendor billed. It will be a couple of hundred pounds, you might never see it again but at least you've taken control and their rubbish is out of your life.

RaisingSteam Sun 08-Jan-17 10:12:25

If the motorbike doesn't run/have an MOT , it might not be straight forward to move it like the one in our garage.

SVJAA Sun 08-Jan-17 10:15:31

We had a lot of problems when we moved into our house. Windows were condemned as unsafe, all floor coverings were beyond salvaging and lots of stuff left behind. Through our solicitor we were able to recoup a lot of the costs from the vendor as it was trashed. Good luck OP

Pantah630 Sun 08-Jan-17 10:52:23

Any idea what the bike is? If it's a classic may be worth hanging onto and selling yourself to recover cost of removing their broken furniture.

BigBadWolves Wed 11-Jan-17 10:53:50

Solicitor will be able to sort this easily. Try not to let it get to you, obviously very frustrating, but your solicitor will talk to theirs and get it sorted. Re them having keys to the other flat stay out of it would be my advice 😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: