Talk

Advanced search

Glass bathroom door? How else would you tackle this?

(17 Posts)
afatalflaw Sat 07-Jan-17 19:28:54

Our bathroom is at the top of our stairs facing the front door so ordinarily wouldn't consider a glazed door, but a solid door when shut would almost entirely enclose an upstairs landing with almost no light coming from anywhere else (except for front door) leaving the landing and stairs very dark.

I have been googling partially glazed doors but still think with frosted glass privacy would be an issue and don't fancy blind/ curtains because of damp/ dust.

Have also considered a small glazed panel above the door but not sure the height is there and it might look a bit squashed.

Has anyone had a similar problem and if so how have you dealt with it?

minipie Sat 07-Jan-17 19:33:46

What's above the landing - if it's attic/roof you could put a skylight or light pipe there? may not be a small job though especially if it would need scaffolding to do.

Otherwise, I think I'd go for the frosted partially glazed door, I think it would be private enough. I've seen that in quite a few houses with a bathroom where you describe. Usually there ends up being a dressing gown or towel on the back of the door which adds to the privacy (although reduces the light of course).

ExplodedCloud Sat 07-Jan-17 19:39:00

If you had a frosted partially glazed door you could always get a panel of gauzy material to hang. I know you said not blinds or curtains but if you had a few panels you could wash them easily. A couple of hooks and a pole with tab top panels would be simple.

wowfudge Sat 07-Jan-17 20:01:38

My first house had a bathroom door with two glazed panels in the top half. The glass was frosted and you couldn't see much, if anything, through the glass.

321zerobaby Sat 07-Jan-17 20:02:46

Do you always keep all the bedroom doors closed?

Milliways Sat 07-Jan-17 20:13:57

When we bought this house the bathroom door was see through glass, right in front of toilet at top of stairs! We put a long poster on inside.

afatalflaw Sat 07-Jan-17 23:19:02

Thanks for the replies.

The door is at the bend of a dogleg staircase so weird proportions. We are planning to open up the roof but the door is on the other side of the wall if you see what I mean.

I think part of it is that I have had to live with a 'mahogany' stained nine panel glazed door (not safety glass) with a curtain behind for five years and just want something elegant that doesn't feel like a compromise but a design choice!

afatalflaw Sat 07-Jan-17 23:21:15

Bedroom doors not always closed but when we have other people round generally prefer not to encourage children wandering further. We have two DDs so they don't want each other's friends in their rooms and I don't want any of them in my room so perfectly possible all doors could be closed.

afatalflaw Sat 07-Jan-17 23:23:23

Current layout has bath to immediate right of door so stepping out of bath would be directly in front of door.

Reality16 Sat 07-Jan-17 23:31:57

I would leave the bathroom door open for light when it's not in use before I ever considered a glass door

SwedishEdith Sat 07-Jan-17 23:32:45

I don't think the really frosted stuff shows shapes (presume that's what you're bothered about? grin ) I quite like this but depedsn on reast of doors/stle of house.

SwedishEdith Sat 07-Jan-17 23:34:45

Sorry about typos!

afatalflaw Sun 08-Jan-17 01:15:58

Thanks Edith, weirdly I was thinking about a reclaimed pub door if Edith had to go glazed.

afatalflaw Sun 08-Jan-17 01:17:39

Reality, I'm not keen on the first view of my house being a toilet but I take the point. The door is mostly open now but position of the toilet will change.

RussianCoffee Sun 08-Jan-17 06:38:59

We have a frosted door to the toilet/shower room which is off the hallway downstairs (do visitors often walking past). It freaked me out at first but you can't see anything - not even outlines.

RussianCoffee Sun 08-Jan-17 06:39:32

*so

Millionsmom Sun 08-Jan-17 06:45:53

We used the frosted sticky used and put it on the panels, it worked really well.
www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_10/255-0586322-6231919?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=frosted+glass+film&sprefix=Glass+film%2Caps%2C155&crid=2WD2EHPIUS2JX

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now