Talk

Advanced search

Keep the utility room or knock into kitchen?

(18 Posts)
flownthecoopkiwi Sat 07-Jan-17 15:50:03

Title says it all really. Smallish kitchen 3.4 by 3.4, which isn't a huge issue as utility room has storage up its whazoo and a sink so thinking of getting rid of all units on back wall and putting small table or island there.

Is a good utility room worth keeping rather just having washing machine and dryer in garage?

flownthecoopkiwi Sat 07-Jan-17 15:51:07

Sorry to clarify, get rid of units on back wall of kitchen. Both rooms have sinks.

LucilleBluth Sat 07-Jan-17 15:53:52

We have just knocked through to create a bigger kitchen. Dryer is now in the garage but I've kept the utility sink and washing machine. The space and light that's been created is amazing. I would definitely advise you to think about how you use the space and look at the flow of the room iykwim.

bigredboat Sat 07-Jan-17 16:01:41

Seeing as you would have direct acces to the garage from the
Kitchen (and assuming you don't need to keep 2 cars in the garage) I would get rid of the utility.

Testificateman Sat 07-Jan-17 16:49:49

If you don't use the garage much, I'd knock through and create a bigger kitchen and block off some of the garage to make a utility.
My garage has been turned into a games room/snug at the front with a utility leading of the extended kitchen.
Have a big shed in my garden for all of my toys. Sorry, tools 😀

mirokarikovo Sat 07-Jan-17 17:13:43

I'd knock through for a bigger kitchen and make the back wall of the garage the utility area with sink, machines and drying racks. Unless your car(s) is/are very long the garage will still fit them.

user1471549018 Sat 07-Jan-17 20:32:47

Your garage takes up nearly half of your downstairs that's crazy! I'd pinch a big chunk of it and either keep a single garage or just the front section for storage. You could transform your downstairs, keep a utility and have a much bigger kitchen...

flownthecoopkiwi Sat 07-Jan-17 20:46:00

Oh no it's cropped. To the right is the entry hall, another reception room (playroom) and downstairs loo

user1471549018 Sat 07-Jan-17 20:52:00

I realised after I posted it must be! Do you want to keep the whole garage or would you consider converting some? I've had my tumble dryer in a garage twice before and it's really not great.

flownthecoopkiwi Sat 07-Jan-17 20:57:31

We couldn't convert it to such an extent it didn't look like garages from outside and we'd still like to be able to park at least one car. It already has the boiler and a big chest freezer

321zerobaby Sat 07-Jan-17 21:39:34

I would knock through, then create a utility, or at least a utility area at the back of the garage.

Boredomismyenemy Sat 07-Jan-17 21:46:15

I had my washer and drier in the garage. It was miserable at this time of year as it was so so cold going in and out.

Fourbyfour Sat 07-Jan-17 22:01:04

Another vote for knocking through. Could add bi fold doors to the garden. I'd add a dining table in front of that and an island near your units.

Mouse510 Sun 08-Jan-17 07:02:19

I would get knock through to the dining room and sitting room and make that part of a bigger kitchen diner and keep the utility but for me a utility room is what dreams at made of!

lauryloo Sun 08-Jan-17 07:30:22

I'd knock through and use the garage for the washing machine

VeritysWatchTower Sun 08-Jan-17 08:06:38

Definitely knock through and take a section off the back of your garage to create a new utility.

The last house we were at had a single garage that had been shortened by 1.5m to allow a washing machine and tumble dryer to sit side by side.

As you have a double garage you wouldn't lose a lot of space creating a utility area or room.

QODRestYeMerryGentlemen Sun 08-Jan-17 08:08:38

We knocked ours thru yesterday!

Scooby20 Sun 08-Jan-17 08:11:54

We just did our kitchen and kept the utility separate. Because i like being able to shut the door on oiles of eashing if i need to. However our garage is at the bottom of our garden. It your situation i would knock through and (assuming you dont park in there) covert part of the garage into a utility room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now