Kitchens...decisions, decisions

(17 Posts)
FlowerPower2000 Sat 07-Jan-17 14:56:32

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for some advice on kitchen companies. We're undergoing a large extension which will give us a very large open plan kitchen/diner and I have my heart set on a bespoke wooden kitchen. The problem is the cost of bespoke wooden kitchens!

I've been in touch with Higham, who are lovely, also contacted Naked Kitchens and The English Rose Kitchen Company and Parlour Farm for quotes. I did get in touch with Simon Benjamin but they said they were even more expensive than Higham. I love the look of Neptune Suffolk kitchens, but not particularly happy with the quality. I have also come across Handmade Kitchens Direct, but I'm concerned again by the quality because of the prices - are they too good to be true?

Has anyone had to make a similar choice between these companies, and if so, which did you opt for and how has it performed? I have 2 young children and 2 dogs, so it really does need to be able to withstand mucky prints and slams etc.

Or, has anyone had experience with Burbidge Kitchens (components only)?

I know there are a few older posts about painted kitchens, but I'm after recent experiences with customer services and costs etc.

Thanks in advance!

1930sHousewife Sat 07-Jan-17 15:21:46

We faced the same dilemma recently, had our heart set on a solid wood hand painted kitchen (think Tom Howley) and in the end we ended up finding a great local company (Stockport) who have designed our dream kitchen.

I won't say it is a cheap option but it is truly bespoke (no cheap carcasses)

FlowerPower2000 Sat 07-Jan-17 15:25:47

I should mention, that I'm only looking at cabinetry costs as we have a supplier for our Silestone worktops and will source appliances ourselves.

FlowerPower2000 Sat 07-Jan-17 15:39:25

Thanks 1930sHousewife, if I had my way I'd be having a Tom Howley too, but it's out of our price range due to the size of the kitchen (4mx6m and a 3mx1.2m island)!

ShortLass Sat 07-Jan-17 22:09:58

If you are interested inHandmadeKitchens Direct, try to get to theirshowroom in either Christchurch, Dorset or somewhere I forget in Surrey just outside Lonodon. Great quality. If you google HMK and mumsnet, you'll fine some happy customers. Note that they come unpainted and you will have to paint the, yourself / get a builder.

I think a better company is Classic Kitchens Direct, also down in Christchurch. Much better with advice, more options, will do stuff if you ask them and offer to paint for you. Similarly good prices. Also worth a visit to showroom if you can.

DIY Kitchens are popular here. They also do this style of kitchen and it's worth considering if your budget is tight. Their showroom is brilliant for lots of ides, if you can get to Yorkshire.

cujo Sat 07-Jan-17 22:28:44

Have a look at yew tree kitchens, we went with these and I don't think you could tell the difference between it and something twice the price from a 'name'

Fitted in December so we are a recent customer. Their customer service is great as well.

You could also look at four corners trading. They use slightly better woods and have a different foot design but are ultimately marginally more expensive than yew tree. Our friends have used these and their kitchen is fab too!

MrsNuckyThompson Sat 07-Jan-17 22:43:22

We're going for the Neptune Suffolk. Main reason is that I feel it looks much more like 'furniture' than kitchen units. We've had to choose very quickly so haven't compared quality with as many others as we'd have liked, but I think it is good, solid construction and the price point was right for us. Some of the more run of the mill fitted kitchens were probably marginally sturdier but like I said they look and feel like a million other fitted kitchens, not like bespoke furniture.

If you're keen on that look try DeVol...

Ramona75 Sun 08-Jan-17 06:51:32

+1 for DIY Kitchens.com. Shop around online to get the best prices. If you can do your own design and plan then you will save loads.

Marmitelover55 Sun 08-Jan-17 08:16:02

We used Pebble Kitchens based in Bristol. They supply to trade only so you will need a fitter (I would highly recommend ours). Our kitchen is in the brochure - page 37 and 38 and was very good value and is extremely well made smile
pebblekitchens.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Pebble-Kitchens-Bespoke-Brochure.pdf

namechangedtoday15 Sun 08-Jan-17 10:00:55

I've just had a Burbidge kitchen fitted (Petworth Painted) and its lovely. I am very happy with it.

FlowerPower2000 Sun 08-Jan-17 16:02:29

Thanks All, I'll take a look at Yew Tree and the others suggested.

namechangedtoday15 I've been looking at the painted Petworth too as I don't want a beading on the frames - but I'm after a white kitchen and I believe the wood grain effect shows through more with the white than the darker colours. Burbidge does seem to offer great value for money when compared with a fully bespoke kitchen.

Willow3131 Sun 08-Jan-17 16:29:40

Have you looked at Plain English or their sister company British Standard?

rallytog1 Sun 08-Jan-17 19:29:00

My parents have got a Neptune kitchen. It's beautiful and superb quality.

FlowerPower2000 Tue 24-Jan-17 13:01:33

Ok, so we popped over to Cirencester at the weekend and took a look at Parlour Farm - it was nice enough, although the paint quality wasn't fab for a showroom. But the kitchen designer was lovely and very helpful and patient. I also think their prices were more affordable than other bespoke kitchens I've looked at. However, on the way we came across The Shaker Kitchen Co. whose prices are even better than Manor Farm. So now I'm after recommendations for them!

Has anyone had one of their kitchens? Their warranty is only 1.5 yrs whereas Parlour Farm offers a 20 yr warranty!

fizzandbubbles Wed 01-Mar-17 17:21:06

Hi FlowerPower2000,

We've recently moved and I'm starting to plan our kitchen (although it's still a way off unfortunately.) I've heard bad things about Neptune; mass produced and shipped in from China, although there's no denying it looks nice. If you're looking for something bespoke have you considered Davonport? My friend got a Davonport kitchen a couple of years ago and loves it. It's absolutely beautiful (huge kitchen envy from me and my Mr) and it's bespoke and handmade so the quality is great. Service was really good too. Might be worth a look.

All the best with your project. Any kind of home renovation project needs all the luck it can get from my experience!

milkshake1973 Thu 20-Apr-17 09:41:51

I really liked Simon benjamin. I loved their classic kitchen but they have another kitchen now called simple which is more our budget. Going for a dark blue, hand painted with brass handles, can't wait. This renovation lark is never ending, so many decisions to make so happy to finally be getting it all sorted! GL with yours.

5amisnotmorning Thu 20-Apr-17 17:06:58

We got a quote from Higham and one from Devol. Devol was much cheaper and we are bowled over with the quality and finish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now