Talk

Advanced search

Replace bedroom door with bi-fold?

(23 Posts)
Atticmatic Fri 06-Jan-17 22:14:48

The door on DD's small room opens inwards and restricts how we can lay her room out - position of bed etc.

I was thinking of getting it replaced with a bi-fold door that folds outwards instead of into the room. Does this sound doable/sensible or is there another option I haven't thought of?

Fedupofallthemud Fri 06-Jan-17 22:18:15

Pocket door that slides into wall??

Atticmatic Fri 06-Jan-17 22:22:30

There's a radiator on the wall as you enter the room and two doors right next to each side of her door so I don't think a sliding door is doable (tiny house).

Fedupofallthemud Fri 06-Jan-17 22:24:59

Pocket doors slide within the wall, not alongside it so might still be possible depending on where the pipes for radiator are

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Fri 06-Jan-17 22:26:25

We have a door opening outwards on our box room.

Fedupofallthemud Fri 06-Jan-17 22:26:44

Ah the doors on each side would be a problem though! Sorry
So you were thinking of a door that concertinas to take up less space? (Like a shower door?)

PigletJohn Fri 06-Jan-17 22:31:16

In UK, walls are mostly made of brick or block, so pocket doors not used.

GrumpySausage Fri 06-Jan-17 22:35:21

We had a similar problem in our bathroom, it's tiny and the door took up half the room.

We installed a bi fold door and it works really well. Be careful of little fingers though. DS didn't really grasp it at first and caught his in the middle.

Atticmatic Fri 06-Jan-17 22:35:43

Yes I want it to take up less space and open onto the landing instead of into her room.

Atticmatic Fri 06-Jan-17 22:37:54

Thanks grumpy. The same also applies to my bathroom now I think about it.

Would the door frame need replacing? And what happens about the bottom bit where there's a metal strip joining the landing carpet to her carpet?

DodoRevival Fri 06-Jan-17 22:39:11

Considered bifold here but just about every builder advises against as the eventually won't close properly.

Badcat666 Fri 06-Jan-17 22:39:29

I had a wooden bi fold door when I had the box room as a teenager as a normal door took up too much space in my room. As I got older I just nailed a thick fancy throw on the inside so I could have more privacy (which kind of helped but the dog and cats could nudge it open to get in to go to sleep at night!)

Atticmatic Fri 06-Jan-17 22:40:41

Oh she wouldn't like that. She's a teen grin

Maybe simpler to get door changed to opening outwards then??

GrumpySausage Fri 06-Jan-17 22:42:14

We didn't change the door frame. My DH fitted it, he's quite handy but not carpenter level so could be doable by most.

We didn't have to change the door strip either. Ours are wooden though and are quite raised so the door just butts up against it.

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Fri 06-Jan-17 22:44:06

The main frame stays in place, but the inner strips of wood will need to be moved, hinges etc.

Atticmatic Fri 06-Jan-17 22:44:19

I need to find a carpenter to quote/advise I think. I'm on my own and whilst I'm quite handy, this is beyond my skill set.

Thanks for your replies.

Badcat666 Fri 06-Jan-17 22:46:52

I did have a hook thing on the door for when I wanted privacy and worked really well. I only left it unlocked at night so the animals could come in as I was a soppy cow and let them all sleep on my bed on me with me grin

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Fri 06-Jan-17 22:47:35

I agree with the bi fold door re the gap, had one on the kitchen and you could see through the crack.

GrumpySausage Fri 06-Jan-17 22:48:14

Ours was from B&Q and was quite reasonable (otherwise we wouldn't have done it!) Maybe worth having a look at one first to see if worthwhile.

We use ours in the bathroom and I've never felt it offered less privacy. Yes it can be pushed open but then so can a normal door.

The only downside to it is it's quite noisy. When closing it, you can't do it softly as you have to push and pull it if you see what I mean. So trying to be quiet when getting up early for work can be tricky!

Hope you get it sorted.

Badcat666 Fri 06-Jan-17 22:57:01

OH!! Just had a thought.. instead of bifold doors, what about changing them to doors that open like french doors??! Might be better for a teen??!

www.2littlesuperheroes.com/2013/02/bifold-doors-turned-fancy-french-doors.html/

ivykaty44 Fri 06-Jan-17 22:58:31

I have a bifold door on my smallest bedroom

I opens inwards but gives much more room than a normal door

Atticmatic Fri 06-Jan-17 23:07:25

I like the French doors option. I think bi-fold is out. DS has ASD and any noise wakes him up so a noisy door is not good. DD also wouldn't like any gap at all.

EineKleine Sat 07-Jan-17 00:22:35

I agree they tend to be a bit gappy to use for a bedroom. Not that you can see much through, but enough to compromise the sound insulation/privacy. Our boxroom door was a normal one rehung to open outwards onto the landing, and it made a big difference to the space in the boxroom. I'd really recommend it.

DH tells me that doors aren't as difficult as they look, but hanging them looks pretty tricky for a solo amateur to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now