Talk

Advanced search

Building in the garden

(3 Posts)
CeeCee123 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:56:14

Hi,
At the end of our garden we have an enormous (approx 4.5m x 5m), very dilapidated double garage. It leaks, has an earth floor, and generally is quite ramshackle). I don't think it can be fixed up to be habitable, or at least, I think it would cost so much that we may as well start again.

I'm torn between getting a contractor to build a new building with the same footprint, which would give us quite a big structure and we could divide up into storage and perhaps a little gym area. The other option would be to get a garden room from one of the millions of garden room companies on the web, but I'm not sure if we'd get as much flexibility as having a contractor do it.

Has anyone ever done a project like this, and has anyone got any idea how much it would cost? Also, has anyone ever tried applying to get a building with plumbing built in their garden? I understand that this requires additional planning permission.

TIA

johnd2 Mon 09-Jan-17 18:00:09

I don't think the plumbing would need planning permission, it's sleeping accommodation that would make the difference. Loads of people have a tap (and electrics) in a garage or workshop built under permitted development.

littlejoshua Mon 09-Jan-17 19:29:52

best thing to do is contact your local councils planning department, they'll be able to tell you what planning if any you need.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now