Advanced search

What kind of surveyor?

(8 Posts)
Saucery Thu 05-Jan-17 19:21:08

Old house, terrible damp problem. Think it was on here that I read if you get a damp proofer in they will recommend a damp proofing course etc. (We had one put in about 12 years ago, along with roofing and pointing - problem still chronic).

So where should we be looking for a completely independent unbiased surveyor that will pinpoint the problem and advise as to what exactly we can do about it?

Saucery Thu 05-Jan-17 20:15:32

<hopeful soggy bump>

wowfudge Thu 05-Jan-17 21:04:01

A surveyor specialising in damp? I'm not being facetious, but contact some local surveying practices and ask whether they have someone with experience of damp surveying. It might also be worth speaking to an environmental surveyor.

Saucery Thu 05-Jan-17 21:13:53

Yes, specialising in damp and houses over 100 years old but not listed or otherwise special in any way. The most important thing would be they would be completely impartial and not tied to any particular method of dealing with damp or any particular company if that makes sense?
And with enough experience to take into account environmental factors that might be relevant and particular to the area.
I didn't think you were being facetious btw, I know it sounds vague. But having paid out a considerable sum of money 12 years ago to get it all sorted (as we thought) I don't want the next step to be handed over to someone who will just go "damp course......replastering...." It needs a permanent fix, however disruptive or expensive that may be.

ChampagneCommunist Thu 05-Jan-17 21:19:16

A chartered surveyor is what you need, let them know your specific concerns so they can do additional checks

Saucery Thu 05-Jan-17 21:22:30

Thank you both. The one we had before was employed by the building company so not impartial. And original house survey was stupidly basic, for which I kick myself every day.
I will ask around locally for recommendations.

weebarra Thu 05-Jan-17 21:23:26

Check the RICS website for a chartered surveyor near you.

Saucery Thu 05-Jan-17 21:26:30

RICS, that's what I had at the back of my mind, thank you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: