Talk

Advanced search

North facing room colour, help!!!

(20 Posts)
DIYDummy Thu 05-Jan-17 14:34:52

Really need some help as I am drowning in tester pots.

I really like f+b strong white, but it looks drab and rubbish in my north facing sitting room.

Can anyone suggest something similar, maybe a little lighter but with some warmth?

ShortLass Thu 05-Jan-17 15:52:04

I saw an interior designer at Grand Designs Live a few months back (it was a free session) and she suggested something like a dusky pink for my north-facing bedroom. I am yet to decorate and unconvinced.

If you look on line, the advise is that white can look grey in north facing rooms.

I'm watching this thread as I would love some other ideas.

Zampa Thu 05-Jan-17 15:55:59

Try F&Bs Cornforth White. It's a pinky/purple grey and looks fab in my East facing kitchen.

DIYDummy Thu 05-Jan-17 19:26:33

Thanks for the responses. I did try cornforth White, but it was too dark. Honestly am at a loss!

Every paint seems to have a really strong colour in my sitting room, just want something a bit more subtle and warn but not yellowy. I have spent a fortune on testerssad

DH thinks I'm mad and has no interest whatsoever, so if it looks crap it's all on me.

HeyMacWey Thu 05-Jan-17 19:29:00

I have timeless in my North nw facing sitting room. Looks lovely, not yellowy, just a richer white.

Pocoyo123 Thu 05-Jan-17 21:16:57

I have Dulux Timeless in my north facing living room too (in fact I have t all over the house). I love it!

yomellamoHelly Thu 05-Jan-17 21:51:03

We have Timeless in the north facing lounge. Jasmine White in the north facing bedroom.

JanuaryIsTheNewMonday Thu 05-Jan-17 22:17:33

www.farrow-ball.com/light-affects-colour/content/fcp-content

anotherbloodycyclist Thu 05-Jan-17 22:23:36

We've got f and b skimming stone in our north facing lounge. Not yellow-y at all but lovely and warm, and not too heavy. In our other north facing reception we have dulux polished pebble which is a bit more grey. Love both of them.

InterchangeableEmma Thu 05-Jan-17 22:32:23

A very, very pale baby pink. The room will add a beautiful grey tone and you'll end up with a pale, almost unnoticeable soft old rose shade. this is the closet F&B do to the shade I mean, well as far as it's possible on a screen.

straighttalker Thu 05-Jan-17 23:03:44

Faced with having to paint my entire house, I went with the Mumsnet recommendation of Timeless for my north facing back kitchen-diner and I don't regret it. It's perfect, and never looks dingy even on the darkest of days.

Do not get the Dulux matt though - it marks at the slightest provocation. I will have to get this room repainted before the others. The paint I had mixed at Johnstones is much harder wearing.

straighttalker Thu 05-Jan-17 23:06:36

My two north facing bedrooms got F&B pale powder (lovely in the daytime, but nothing special in artificial light/darker days) and F&B peignoir (a pink-grey which I really like.

Sometimespostingalwayslurking Fri 06-Jan-17 21:15:03

We have f&b pointing, a warm creamy white in our north facing kitchen. It works very well and we also use it on the ceilings and on the woodwork in the rest of our house in combination with other gorgeous f&b colours, very versatile.

VeritysWatchTower Fri 06-Jan-17 21:19:42

We have Dulux Jasmine White, it was inherited with the house and we just freshened it up with another coat. I am toying with Timeless though grin

ChishandFips33 Sat 07-Jan-17 18:55:17

Dulux Timeless in some rooms, Natural Calico in others

Also have a valspar grey (very very pale, you only notice it when you look at the adjoining white) on one wall in a north facing room with just a velux for natural light (on North facing roof)

I found choosing the grey to be the trickiest!

Mapless Sat 07-Jan-17 19:07:27

I agree. F and B Pointing is a warm white or New White. How about a warm grey/beige like Elephants Breath? I've used Green Blue and Pale Powder in West facing and they look more green. In North facing they would look more blue (at a guess), perhaps without being cold looking.

My neighbours have mainly north facing windows and they have embraced it. Elephants Breath, Palma Grey, Cooks Blue.

F and B website have some advice on this

puffylovett Mon 09-Jan-17 00:13:11

I have dark northwest facing rooms and had a Bugger of a time picking paint. I would echo the above.
I chose to embrace the dark and opted for deep colours - stone blue living room and dove tale kitchen which has a purpley undertone. Love it, so cosy!

daffodilbaby Mon 09-Jan-17 10:04:56

we have tallow in our north facing sitting room - warm neutral

EineKleine Mon 09-Jan-17 10:38:44

Bear in mind that the white background is changing the way you see the colour enormously. It will look lighter/less dingy when not offset by the white all around it. We painted my daughters room what I thought was clearly purple, when tested against a white background, but now we lost the true white, the purple just looks off white.

Dulux Egyptian cotton is more beige, but it is warm, light, and not yellow. Dulux Almost Oyster is pearly with an ever so slight hint of pinkish tone. I really like it and I loathe pink! But you may be after something greyer than both.

BlackCatsRule Mon 09-Jan-17 12:33:20

Daffodilbaby I have also had tallow in a room where there is low amounts of light - would recommend

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now