Advanced search

How long did it take for the owner to respond to your offer?

(11 Posts)
MaryPoppinsPenguins Wed 04-Jan-17 13:45:59

We've waited two days since our last offer and still haven't heard anything!

It's a bad sign isn't it? confused

KingJoffreysRestingCuntface Wed 04-Jan-17 13:47:31


My offer was shit though. I'm no haggler and I really wanted this house.

Gardencentregroupie Wed 04-Jan-17 13:48:26

Mine responded within a couple of hours, but then they had had the place on the market for 6 months with no offers (which I will never understand, it's a fab house in a lovely area) so presumably she was keen not to miss out this time.

Maybe they have other viewings lined up over the weekend and are hoping for a better offer.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Wed 04-Jan-17 13:50:42

This house has been on the market for three months, with no offers... and ours is a good offer! (I think!)

I've been willing my phone to ring all day!

Gardencentregroupie Wed 04-Jan-17 13:52:09

Actually we waited about a day to respond to an offer, because we had some chain free first time buyers coming to view and that would have obviously been easier but we did accept the offer.

flownthecoopkiwi Wed 04-Jan-17 14:13:15

went we went to sealed, best and final we submitted for Wed 12 pm and heard 10 am Thursday (after they finished drinking the champagne I suspect)

nell15 Wed 04-Jan-17 16:56:00

Our offer was made direct to the vendor as they responded to the leaflet I put through their door asking if anyone wanted to sell their property. She said she'd get back to me in two days and didn't. I sent her a gentle reminder email and didn't hear for over a week. I was panicking and thought she wasn't interested in our offer. I found out via mutual friends that there'd been a sudden death in her family hence the delay
Another house that we offered on which later fell through. I put it our offer again direct to the vendor and he rang me 20 mins later to accept.

It's worth pushing your estate agent or sending gentle reminders if no response then walk away and move on although ea have to put your offer to the vendor and ought to give you a response - how will you know if your offer was a good or reasonable one otherwise

MaryPoppinsPenguins Wed 04-Jan-17 16:57:49

I just heard back. But not with an answer... they're going to think about it. Apparently they said 'but that's not the asking price?'

confused doesn't sound promising does it!

PlayingGrownUp Wed 04-Jan-17 17:06:24

Ours took a week at which point the estate agent flat out told us how much the buyer was insisting on £5000 above our price but he was certain the buyer would take £2000. We offered £2000 more and they buyer made a song and dance of how it wasn't what they wanted - then we got a call a week later to say they'd accepted.

wowfudge Wed 04-Jan-17 17:06:35

Urgh - some people are unrealistic. Do you live in an area where asking price offers are the norm? Is it overpriced? Might be worth setting out to agent why you have made that offer.

We offered on something like 23 Dec 2015 and heard back on 4 Jan 2016 after DP rang the agent and asked had they heard from the vendor yet?

nougatsquirrel Thu 05-Jan-17 09:26:19

We placed many offers on different properties before buying our house. I would get worried if it took longer than 2-3 days. Mostly "No", "Please increase offer" or "This is the counter offer" would happen quite quickly. We only got no response when we put in an offer of less than 10% asking price. But this was back in 2014. I would think any reasonable offer now would get a quick response. It may be worth chasing they have received your offer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now