Starting to get frustrated with buyers solicitor am I BU?(7 Posts)
My mum passed away last July.
We put her house up for sale in August and the sale was progressing along nicely, the searches had all come back and there were some queries which we provided the solicitors with the answers/certificates and we were ready to exchange. The buyer then came back and said that one of the sales she was using to fund this property had fallen through and so now she could only afford 20k under the asking price.
We said no.
2 days later we had an offer which was slightly under the asking price but they said we could exchange by Christmas, as rather than go through all the search/query business again they could just purchase the information from the original sale.
So, in the interests of expediency we agreed this sale.
However, the solicitor they are using is the same solicitor from the original sale, who our solicitor could never get hold of, when she did she was busy and said she'd call her back and never does. During the first sale we were led to believe it was the buyer holding things up but tbh I am starting to think it is the solicitor as, once again, no one can ever reach her.
The sales progression people at the Estate Agent called the Weds before Christmas to say that our buyer had been to his solicitor, signed the contract, its all ready to go. I called our solicitor to let her know the good news. Nothing has arrived with our solicitor and they cannot get hold of the buyers solicitor again.
our solicitor was the same constantly chasing her up pissed me off big time but you just have to think they are no where near as invested in a move be it by or sell as you are I don't think they need or want to rush at the end of the day they still get paid x
our solicitor was the same constantly chasing her up pissed me off big time but you just have to think they are no where near as invested in a move be it by or sell as you are I don't think they need or want to rush at the end of the day they still get paid x only suggestion would be to change solicitor but no doubt you would still owe them
Money and not necessarily get anyone better ?
I think its just frustrating as we had agreed the sale at the lower price on the understanding that the sale would have been at least exchanged by Christmas.
they may well be a licensed conveyancing shop with hundreds of transactions to get through and yours is not any kind of priority. I would get your agent to earn their commission by telling them that you are remarketing with a different agent if you haven't exchanged within [10 days / other deadline]. THis is what you pay them for.
The problem with an Estate Agent advising you that the buyer had signed their Contract is that they simply do not know for certain, their job is to keep the chain intact and they will often say things to keep you on side. They also don't know if the buyer also signed the Transfer. Without a signed Transfer exchange cannot happen.
Even if your buyer had signed his Contract on the Wednesday before Christmas, his solicitor would then need to prepare the file for exchange, i.e. deposit in and Transfer signed and all paperwork approved. Then they would contact your solicitors to effect the exchange, meaning you would have needed to sign both the Contract and the Transfer and returned them to your solicitor too. Most solicitors finished for the Christmas break at 12pm on Friday and were off until yesterday. If you file was not ready at the latest on the Thursday before Christmas, then no progress would have been made until they returned after the break.
I know I need to try and be less stressed about it but it's hard I just feel a bit cheated that they facilitated a sale at a lower price on the proviso it would be exchanged by Christmas. The solicitor had everything in place from the first sale which the new buyer bought so I don't understand how it's taking so long.
Join the discussion
Please login first.