Talk

Advanced search

Architects costs?

(9 Posts)
cashmerecardigans Tue 03-Jan-17 15:41:21

Can anyone advise on current costs for architects? We are looking to apply for listed building consent to completely renovate a Grade 2 listed property, plus apply to build an extension at the same time.
The architect we have seen has come back with fees of 900 for survey and doing 3D CAD model, approx 2.5 k for developing outline proposals with us, then another 2.5k for detailed plans, building control info etc. It seems an awful lot, but is this worth negotaiating over, or is this more of less the going rate?
Any advice much appreciated.

Stopmakingsense Tue 03-Jan-17 16:37:28

If you get on with the architect and think they understand your needs, and have the right experience for your job, then the fee is a tiny proportion of what you are going to be spending on building work. I am an architect and whilst it is hard to say if that is the going rate (i.e. I don't know how much work is involved in your particular project), I would like to think that a good architect should help ensure you don't waste money on things you don't need, and help you spend it where you do need it for long term investment and daily delight and comfort! You haven't said whether VAT is chargeable on top of that, worth checking if it is not clear. Hope that helps.

parrots Tue 03-Jan-17 16:40:14

We paid a lot more than that! Sounds very reasonable.

TheTeaFairy Wed 04-Jan-17 07:44:54

Bumping for you cashmere as I'm in a similar position. smile

cashmerecardigans Wed 04-Jan-17 15:07:35

Thanks, I'm expecting the total costs to be in the region of 120k, about 50k for renovation and 70k for extension.

TheTeaFairy Wed 04-Jan-17 19:15:02

Ours is just (ha!) a renovation (including new kitchen, bathroom, utility room, turning the currently dungeon-like basement into a bedroom, some new windows, rewiring and plumbing where necessary, decorating and making good). We are not making any structural changes (i.e., no extension).

The architect has quoted us £2K plus VAT for drawing up the plans, submitting them and monitoring the application. That fee doesn't include the cost of getting a dimensional survey, which will be contracted out.

Our budget (for a three-bed property) is similar to yours but without the £70K for the extension.

Good luck with your application - from what I've gleaned, luck does come into it! smile

jaffajiffy Wed 04-Jan-17 21:41:29

Second the pp saying trusting a good person is worth a few bob. We went with one recommended by the builder because I wanted them to work well together. Our architect charged £750 before VAT for drawings and planning. He then charged £3500 to see the project through, liaising with engineers and building regs and surveyors including party wall. That included two site visits/month and he was hugely helpful via Skype and when i rang in a panic about queries e.g. lighting layouts. He was easy going and did things like sketch bathroom layouts and elevations for the builders to work from when I'm sure other architects would have quoted for a professional drawing. But I trusted my builders and he complemented their skills. That's the main thing to go for rather than haggling over price.
Our project was a strip back to brick house renovation plus side return extension and loft conversion. His fees were dwarfed by the cost of works (eyes watering at the figure even now.). An architect's main skill is being able to talk to you as a client and also to the trades.
Good luck!

jaffajiffy Wed 04-Jan-17 21:50:57

Ps our previous property was grade two listed, and we also tried to do works there with an architect who claimed to be on best mates terms with the planners. Our application was refused, and I'm still annoyed about it. So don't spend too much on an architect without meeting the planners first! And I'd also recommend submitting one LBC application for each piece of the works. We submitted one form to 1. add a stud wall upstairs 2. Change a window into French doors in the basement and 3. Replace non original (naff) windows and Install histoglass (double glazed sash windows that look like old glass) and the whole application was refused because they were not happy with 2 out of 3 requests (wall and windows). They were perfectly happy with the entire basement renovation which would have cost masses more!
<not bitter now I'm in our lovely new house>

cashmerecardigans Wed 04-Jan-17 22:17:41

Thanks everyone. He's included meetings with LA at pre-planning stage, so I'd hope we wouldn't end up with an unrealistic application.
jaffa thanks for the advice - we are also looking at the histoglass, so your experience of it would be helpful. Really useful thoughts about separate applications though, I wouldn't have thought of that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now