Talk

Advanced search

Hole in the wall gas fires

(9 Posts)
littlestar34 Mon 02-Jan-17 19:33:56

Hi all. Anyone got a frameless hole in the wall gas fire? It is what we want for our extension (in the old dining area bit) but apparently our builder unable to fit one due to it requiring a different type of qualification. We decided to leave it and get it sorted via a supplier after Christmas so I am back to thinking about it. We already have a chimney and thought why not use it. The hole in the wall type fit flush inside so make best use of space. We want it to be quite heat efficient rather than mostly decorative so will go for glass fronted. Just wondered if anyone had one and what they like / don't like about it and if there is anything we need to think about. ☺

Testificateman Mon 02-Jan-17 20:32:05

A friend of mine had one of those. It wasn't that good at warming the room up and apparently, they are more for decoration than heating. The glass front also misted up after a while.

fruitbats Mon 02-Jan-17 20:37:26

I have one and have had it for several years. It gives out plenty of heat. I think it's a Valour one. It was fitted by the place we bought it from and is gas safe registered. We had to have someone check the chimney was clear before it could be fitted. They just put some sort of smoke thing in the hole and check the smoke coming out of the chimney to show no blockage. We have been very pleased with it.

littlestar34 Mon 02-Jan-17 20:44:24

Thank you.

Was it quite messy when it was fitted fruitbats? Just wondering how much making good of the plastering I should / should not expect smile

fruitbats Mon 02-Jan-17 20:53:04

There was a bit of chipping out of the plaster, which DH did. Our room was empty and had been replastered so the floors were bare. If I remember rightly, we had to make good the hole before fitting

fruitbats Mon 02-Jan-17 20:55:00

It's probably also worth mentioning that it is not completely flush to the wall. It has a frame which stands out a couple of inches but is inset into the chimney breast.

jansus5 Tue 03-Jan-17 15:06:57

This is ours its nice and warm but i want a log burner instead and i miss a mantle.

littlestar34 Sat 07-Jan-17 19:35:12

Thank you Jansus5. We want the hole in wall type to maximise space and also because it will fit the design of the space better. I can have a wood burning stove in the front room in a few years apparently ☺ (DH says we need to get the extension fully sorted first and all the decorating done!!) The whole extension is quite contemporary / modern so hole in the wall will work I think. My DH likes the ones that are completely inset with no frame but there are issues with those that are costly to overcome I know. I don't mind the chunky curved frames (verve). Had a rough costing today and they are very expensive but will be a feature as well as providing heat. It's hard to find reviews and real examples (rather than show home pics!!)

littlestar34 Sat 07-Jan-17 19:35:42

Meant to say showroom pics!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now