Talk

Advanced search

60m of Amtico is £6k in my area. That CANT be right

(23 Posts)
AndShesGone Mon 02-Jan-17 17:09:09

shock
I've read all the threads on this and folk are getting £35/50 a metre fitted. HOW can it be £100?

What am I doing wrong??

Madbengalmum Mon 02-Jan-17 17:10:32

There are different price bands in amtico, which very massively.

Madbengalmum Mon 02-Jan-17 17:11:20

*vary.

imjessie Mon 02-Jan-17 17:13:26

We have karndean , our friends in an identical house have amtico. I can't tell the difference . In fact mine has worn better in 2 years .

Madbengalmum Mon 02-Jan-17 17:14:57

Karndean is good, massive variation in price on that too!

wowfudge Mon 02-Jan-17 17:17:19

Look at Polyflor too. Originally used only in commercial settings, it is very hard wearing and cheaper. Ime, the fitting makes all the difference and costs around the same whatever you have.

AndShesGone Mon 02-Jan-17 17:22:18

I've been looking at the polyflor website (terrible website) and can't find the sort of thing I want. I want pale parquet in white/grey/bleached oak like this.

Will check out karndean too. I think the Amtico has a lifetime guarantee, which is why I'd like it.

AndShesGone Mon 02-Jan-17 17:24:50

Ok. These are the only karndean parquet options. All too dark for me. I really don't want planks, I've hankered after parquet for about a decade. For £100 a metre I could have real oak parquet hmm

imjessie Mon 02-Jan-17 17:39:08

I think we have the top right but not done like that . Just straight lines in brick type formation. It's a new build though .

imjessie Mon 02-Jan-17 17:40:12

To be fair we had amtico in our old house and it was still going strong after 17 years . I only wanted this because I liked it in the show home . The colour is more important to me than what it's made of it that makes sense .

Rainbowshine Mon 02-Jan-17 17:47:17

Is that price inclusive of fitting? If it's an awkward space it will increase the cost. We used Amtico in a bathroom and then a dining room, the price was about half for the dining room as there were no fiddly bits apart from the doorway to fit around.

AndShesGone Mon 02-Jan-17 18:01:48

No, two completely straight and empty rectangular rooms (we've not moved in). It's an online calculation I've done, not had anyone round.

dotdotdotmustdash Mon 02-Jan-17 18:09:36

This is engineered wood for a better price.
www.wood4floors.co.uk/product/parquet-panel-soho-peace-oak-with-linen-finish/

AndShesGone Mon 02-Jan-17 18:13:42

It's beautiful that engineered wood smile but I need vinyl with a loooong guarantee as I've got a dog. The last time I had wood it got scratched to shit within a year.

Newtssuitcase Mon 02-Jan-17 18:20:12

Ive just had one of the higher end karndeans installed (da vinci).

To do approx 2 square metres in each en suite bathroom (so just over 4sqm in total) cost £300 for the karndean, £25 for the adhesive, £100ish for the ply and £300 for the fitting.

AndShesGone Mon 02-Jan-17 18:24:23

So that's £170 per square metre shock

Newtssuitcase Mon 02-Jan-17 18:24:26

Amtico will also scratch BTW. Our karndean has scratched already and its only been down a couple of months.

Newtssuitcase Mon 02-Jan-17 18:25:57

Ours was slightly more expensive than it would otherwise have been because I could only buy the karndean by the box. Annoyingly we needed slightly over 1 box. We literally have 90 percent of the second box left over.

Even if we'd managed to get away with one box though it would have been £150 for the karndean

bigredboat Mon 02-Jan-17 18:26:33

Dh is a floor layer and says amtico is over priced, he rates karndean better. He always tells me when someone has asked me to ask him the price per sq m that it depends on other factors as well as the materials (uplift old floor, prep work to sub floor, shape of room/patter laid for labour time etc). We had Karndean in our old house and have Camarro in this one, I think the karndean was slightly nicer but not much in it imho.

Blankscreen Mon 02-Jan-17 20:25:58

We are having karndean fitted. It's 70 square metres and £75 per square metre.

It's the mid range van gough. The amtico option was about £20 a square metre more so pretty similar to what you've been quoted.

We've gone for country oak which is wood with grey undertones but not too grey or woodlike.

Littlecaf Tue 03-Jan-17 15:07:49

We have Project Design flooring, exactly the same as Amtico & Karndean. No scratches in 8 months. Hasn't faded. Half the price.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 03-Jan-17 18:48:42

My parents have Amtico in their home for 28 years- kitchen/ dining area. Still going strong. It cost a lot then but it lasted.

AndShesGone Tue 03-Jan-17 19:31:51

Littlecaf - are you in the U.K.? I can only find Europe/Australia project flooring.

Obviously interested in half the price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now