Advanced search

Fitted kitchen with pull out cupboards?

(14 Posts)
Mehfruittea Sun 01-Jan-17 22:20:46

This is difficult to explain and I can't seem to find a picture when I google this. Today I had a Spa day (bliss) and when in the therapists room having a treatment, I saw they had amazing cabinets. I know...

So they looked just like normal kitchen/bathroom/bedroom fitted cupboards. Then she pulled on the handle and the whole door front rolled out with a self contained unit. It was completely separate from the fitted worktop and all the products on both shelves were accessible and easy to see. I want this like nothing else on earth!

Reason being is im disabled and struggle to get down and look in to a cupboard, organise it and reach what I want. I also use a wheelchair outdoors currently, my condition is progressive and if I need to use a wheelchair indoors then being able to roll the cabinet out would be good to create knee space under the counter and also take essentials with me to one cooking area.

So, I'm not batshit crazy. I really want this in my new kitchen. Does anyone know what I'm on about? Can you Recommend a company? I don't need (and can't afford) a fully adapted disabled kitchen. Just some rolling cupboards please!!! Thanks everyone.

PigletJohn Sun 01-Jan-17 22:25:54

do you mean a larder unit?

Hafele and Blum are two good makes.

They will fit in any unit. 600mm is a good width, It does not come right out, it is attached to rails fixed to the cabinet. The cabinet must be firmly fixed to the wall.

The worktop-height ones are, I think, less rattly and wobbly than the two-metre tall ones.

It is possible to have a wheeled trolley, but AFAIK it would be custom-build. A good joiner could easily make one as long as your floor is flat, smooth and level.

Mehfruittea Sun 01-Jan-17 22:39:52

Thanks PigletJohn. It's not one of those. It looks like a standard under the counter unit, but wheels out and is the independent from the counter and could be wheeled over the over side of the room. Kind of like in a home office where you get desk draws on wheels that sit under the desk. But all matchy-matchy with the rest of the kitchen units and worktop.

It was so lovely, wish I took a picture now...<sighs at potentially missed opportunity of domestic bliss>

PigletJohn Sun 01-Jan-17 22:43:10

these are workstation trolleys, but I don't think they're very good

I would want a sturdy joiner-built one, with big industrial castors with ball-bearings and rubber tyres, which roll smoothly. They can be concealed with plinth as a sort of skirt, that does not quite touch the floor.

Ordinary cabs are not rigid enough to roll about, and their joints would come loose.

Drquin Sun 01-Jan-17 22:50:05

Like these?
Google for "under worktop larder unit". These are from Howdens. You obviously get full bright Ines too, but I assumed you meant ones you can reach easier.

Drquin Sun 01-Jan-17 22:50:38

Sorry I see it's not those smile

LadyPenelope68 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:57:08

Do you mean something like this?

Drquin Sun 01-Jan-17 22:57:09

I was intrigued so carried on googling on your behalf grin
There's photos & articles online of similar ("wheeled under worktop larder") but nothing that seems standard at B&Q / Howdens etc. Just suggestions of putting wheels on a standard unit, which looks like it'd work (subject to PigletJohn's points about using the right bits!!)

Drquin Sun 01-Jan-17 22:58:38
Scroll down to the "roll in, roll out" paragraph.

minipie Sun 01-Jan-17 23:11:05

Searching google images for rolling kitchen cart or rolling island brings up quite a lot. However they all seem to be bespoke as pp have said. Ikea does various wheeled kitchen trolleys but they are too open to look like a normal kitchen cabinet I think. However I guess if you found a trolley the right size you could probably attach a kitchen cabinet door to the front of it?

FrogFairy Mon 02-Jan-17 13:27:05

If you google kitchen trolley (or cart) on castors you will find loads of various sizes and with shelves, baskets or cupboards. All ready made, not bespoke.
I am sure you could find something to fit your needs and space. You could then have a door fitted to match your new kitchen.

NotMeNoNo Mon 02-Jan-17 20:22:15

The fitter would need to adapt a cabinet but it's quite possible. It used to be a thing to have bits of extra worktop that pulled out, my PILs had it in a previous house. Just make sure it doesn't end up too heavy.

Start with say one of these but leave out the runners and attach to a separate base with castors instead.

Mehfruittea Mon 02-Jan-17 22:02:32

Thanks everyone for your replies. drquinn I think you have it! It does look like I will need something bespoke then, perhaps standard kitchen supplied with awesome joiner to do the bespoke bits.

Any recommendations?? grin

PunjanaTea Mon 02-Jan-17 22:37:42

Ask at the Spa where they got them from!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: