Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Can we have two towel rails in the same heating system?

(20 Posts)

Just that, really.

We already have one towel rail upstairs and I fancy having a second fitted downstairs. But I vaguely remember that we could only have one per heating system, something to do with thermostats or valves or something, or is that total tosh?!

Tubbyinthehottub Sun 01-Jan-17 21:48:47

That doesn't sound right, I've got loads. It's just a radiator isn't it?

Well, I thought that but you know how it is, when you've got a vague doubt...

AnnoyedByAlfieBear Sun 01-Jan-17 22:05:25

We've got two so I hope it's ok! confused

Now, this is why I felt the need to ask total strangers on the internet!

If I'd asked a plumber he/she would have potentially laughed at me so thank you both.

PigletJohn Sun 01-Jan-17 22:20:35

if you have a hot water cylinder adjacent to one of the bathrooms, it may be easier/better in that one.

A bathroom distant from the cylinder and/or boiler will either just be like a radiator, controlled by the main thermostat, or need extra pipework.

BTW towel rails don't give out much heat, especially when they are lagged with a thick layer of towels. You may want a radiator as well.

321zerobaby Sun 01-Jan-17 22:25:06

I think I know what you might be on about. My bathroom radiator, is the first off the hot water cylinder, and can't have a thermostat fitted to it, as its some sort of overspill for the tank? Is that right? One radiator in the system has to be without a thermostat perhaps? I'm trying to remember back!

MrCreosote Sun 01-Jan-17 22:29:08

Yes. You can have more than one towel rail but, as piglet John has said, they will not heat your bathroom much.
If you have the room, you can get a traditional radiator that has the towel rail built in. They are very good for drying towels and heating your bathroom. I got one from Geyser designer radiators and love the look, and the warmth.

LittleStripyBee Sun 01-Jan-17 22:29:22

321 dh has just said similar, he thinks one radiator has to be without a thermostat but can't remember why (electrician, not plumber!). Otherwise a towel rail is just a radiator so wouldn't be any different to having another rad.

FrancisCrawford Mon 02-Jan-17 11:00:07

My heated towel rail definitely heats the whole bathroom brilliantly and much better than the radiator that was in there previously.

So much so that I am getting the radiator in the downstairs bathroom replaced with a heated towel rail later this year.

The heated towel rail is also brilliant for drying laundry on, especially underwear.

Whatdoiknow31 Mon 02-Jan-17 12:06:21

On any heating system you have to have at least one radiator with lock shield valves (i.e. Not thermostatic) so it can act as a heat leak to protect the boiler from latent heat. If a large heating system preferably two rads with lock shields. We have airing cupboard radiator (unvented cylinder in Utility room), two towel rads and porch rad acting as heat leaks.

Yes, towel rads don't give out as much heat per size compared to a normal rad. But you can get tall towel radiators to compensate for the loss. We haven't got one in our main bathroom for this reason, however the one in the ensuite keeps it lovely and warm - towel rad not that big either. Incidentally white towel rads give off better heat compared to chrome ones of the same size.

PigletJohn Mon 02-Jan-17 14:15:54

the radiator in the room with the wall thermostat should have no TRV and its valves must be permanently open (even if turned down low) otherwise the thermostat will think the house is cold and will not turn the heating off, even if all the other rooms are roasting.

8misskitty8 Mon 02-Jan-17 16:43:34

I don't find any difference in heat between a regular radiator and a towel rail one.
We have one in our extension shower room ( as big as our family bathroom) and it heats the room just as well as the radiator in the bathroom. Towels are nice and toasty after getting out the shower.

Only think I'd watch op is what colour you get. The chrome ones give out heat better. The white coated ones aren't as good.

PigletJohn Mon 02-Jan-17 16:53:37

you can get traditional chromed brass ones, which are rather expensive. Chromed steel ones have a reputation for going rusty. Possibly due to their relative position in the electrochemical series.

Hulababy Mon 02-Jan-17 16:59:10

We have two towel rails - none of them have a thermostat though. One in our main bathroom, one in the en suite and one in the utility room. They definitely give out a lot of heat in a small room. We also have one other radiator on the system with no thermostat - small radiator in the downstairs toilet. I think this one is the first on the system, but not sure.

You can be limited to how any radiators you can have on one system I think though. I think it depends on your boiler size/efficiency and the size of the radiators. We have 12 radiators and 3 towel rails on our system though two of the radiators we have turned off due to the rooms being too warm if on.

Tubbyinthehottub Mon 02-Jan-17 19:17:22

I've got 6 towel radiators and they all work with the thermostat. Can only assume I must have a amazeballs boiler and the OP's question is a valid one for a plumber!

Wow, thankyou all for your replies!

I've skim read through and found the comments very helpful. I'll sit down and study them more carefully later.

Thankyou all

NotMeNoNo Tue 03-Jan-17 09:49:42

It's the other way round- the white ones have higher output in BTUs than chrome (where it is two variants of the same radiator). Ie. chrome and [https://www.towelradiator.co.uk/500-1500mm-white-curved-towel-radiator white]] is 25% higher.

NotMeNoNo Tue 03-Jan-17 09:50:56

aargh links
chrome and white

NotMeNoNo Tue 03-Jan-17 09:54:31

They do heat the bathroom if big enough, but you are looking at that sort of size, 500x1500, not just a little waist high one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now