Talk

Advanced search

Sanding down and sealing an oak table

(5 Posts)
Pigleychez Sun 01-Jan-17 20:00:43

We have a solid oak table that has had years of neglect and battering from two small children.
Ive tried a few things over the past couple of years ( bees wax and Varnish) but neither seem to have lasted well and the table still get stains.

We are about to embark on a new kitchen extension and would like to have a go at restoring it properly and showing off its glory in the new kitchen diner.
I know it needs a good sanding down but can anyone recommend a good product to seal the top with? I dont want anything glossy or shiny.
Something that will protect from stains, water marks etc?

321zerobaby Sun 01-Jan-17 20:21:30

I have recently had all my hardwood doors sanded and resealed, using a liquid wax from Osmo. My carpenter bought it from the local trade decorating suppliers, they recommended it. It went on as a liquid and dried to a hard finish, with a very slight sheen but not shiny, and I am very happy with them.
Osmo

321zerobaby Sun 01-Jan-17 20:24:41

Sorry this was the product we used for the doors. Lots of reviews on the website, might help you.

Pigleychez Sun 01-Jan-17 22:22:22

Brilliant, I'll look into it. Thank you

321zerobaby Sun 01-Jan-17 22:37:56

They gave us a free sachet to try out first. We also bought their cleaning solution swell, to remove old grime and grease (that was also excellent, especially on the banisters where the dirt was very obvious).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now