Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone ever

(11 Posts)
littlemissM92 Sun 01-Jan-17 09:53:37

.. we are looking at a house that has parking for one car in front of the garage and to the right is a shrubbery landscaped garden area in front of front door.. wondering how big of a deal it would be to get it all removed and make another parking space ? Or if even possible/ allowed? TIA

littlemissM92 Sun 01-Jan-17 12:38:54

Anyone done something like this

lalalonglegs Sun 01-Jan-17 12:48:11

I believe you need planning permission if you want to make more than a certain % of a garden hard standing. I'd much prefer to have a nicely landscaped front garden than paving with a car sat on it (but I'm very unbothered by having off street parking, I know lots of MNers see it as an essential).

littlemissM92 Sun 01-Jan-17 13:18:21

ThNks yes it is essential for us as our house now has private drive for 2 cars and it is heaven to always know u ca just pull on I will look into it abit more

TheCakes Sun 01-Jan-17 13:19:55

You could always put one car in the garage. Controversial, I know....

littlemissM92 Sun 01-Jan-17 13:28:09

the garage would be used for work so unfortunately not available for that but thanks for the obvious suggestion

OhTheRoses Sun 01-Jan-17 13:30:21

Phone your local council and ask.

SwedishEdith Sun 01-Jan-17 13:31:19

Lots do (did) it but does look ugly and is bad for drainage/contributes to flooding so not sure how flexible councils are about it now.

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Sun 01-Jan-17 21:47:43

Who says the secondary parking area (or even the existing) has to be hard standing? Plenty of environmentally-friendly ideas out there. Weedproof membrane and gravel is permeable, but if you google, you can find great tips for greening front gardens - mosses, grasses, herbs, etc can all be driven over, especially if you think that the tyre tracks don't take up much room and there's plenty of space between them which would never be driven on. I think most planners realise that parking in urban areas is an increasing problem, as is flooding. However, there are many solutions that don't involve Tarmac!

venys Sun 01-Jan-17 21:55:07

What JeffreySadsac said. But you need to check with the council first.

littlemissM92 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:06:56

Thanks all. Def o won't be tarmac too expensive will be gravel of flag stones

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now