Talk

Advanced search

Relocation advice - Eastleigh / Havant / Andover ??

(5 Posts)
user1483181211 Sat 31-Dec-16 11:02:13

hello - hopefully some of you can help us! My partner and I are thinking of relocating further South to possibly Eastleigh, Havant or Andover. Neither of us know the areas. Both of us have jobs in Berkshire so not only would we be moving, we would both need to find jobs. On top of that, our boys will be in Year 7 and 9 in September. So... advice needed on the following please...

1. Do we find a job first, the school or the house?
2. Which areas are nicest / the best option
3. Which secondary schools are best and are they likely to have places?

I know some of these are "how long is a piece of string" questions, but we would appreciate any advice. Feel free to message me with any negative comments if you don't want to post on here!

Thank you 😊

PigletJohn Sat 31-Dec-16 11:34:30

I'd say find a job first, and move close to a city where there are plenty more companies that you might move to if necessary. Along the coast there are towns that suffered badly from the loss of one or two big employers.

I think Eastleigh might be more work-friendly. Winchester is very nice.

There are people who travel to London from the coast, but it is expensive and life-destroying.

The A27 and M3 are horrible to commute on.

The coastal railway is not as bad as the rail to London.

PigletJohn Sat 31-Dec-16 11:54:35

try this

scaryteacher Sat 31-Dec-16 15:21:44

Winchester as the state education is great.

Havant, hmmmm, there are areas to avoid like the plague like Leigh Park.
Eastleigh, again, it sort of gets swallowed up in Hedge End. Botley is nice, Titchfield, Fareham and Portchester are OK. Gosport best avoided unless you can afford Alverstoke. Lee on Solent OK.

Commuting is a nightmare.

Andover is OK I think, Salisbury is lovely.

Eve Sat 31-Dec-16 15:25:18

Andover is a lot of army, Winchester very expensive, Eastleigh up and coming , could get something for reasonable amount.

Motorways are grim to commute on. All 3 lanes solid every direction.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now