Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour complain of a window after extension

(16 Posts)
southeastmum2014 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:19:15

Dear Mums,
Please please help. My extension happened in Summer this year. Now a neighbor 3 door away has suddenly decided to knock on door and complain about a window. The only problem with the window is that it was bay window in my drawings and builders (for their convenience) made it square. My architect was overlooking everything, hence, I am confused if this is legal or not. My architect is really very good and he would have advised us immediately if any problems. We were only told about the window becoming square once it was already done. What should I do? Please please help.

bestofboth Fri 30-Dec-16 18:20:05

What issue does the neighbour have with it?

LIZS Fri 30-Dec-16 18:21:44

So does it match the plans now?

southeastmum2014 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:23:53

The plans are same as submitted (no changes at all). Except a bay window at the back has been changed to square window. They complain of privacy. They are 3 doors away. We are all detached house and honestly I have no time in the world to see what they are doing 3 doors away.

superram Fri 30-Dec-16 18:26:12

I would contact the council as they can come out and may allow you to change retrospectively.

superram Fri 30-Dec-16 18:27:48

Change the plans not the actual build. Sounds like your neighbour will report you anyway and many planning departments are very helpful. Can't actually see why a square rather than a bay would impact on your view of them anyway?

ChishandFips33 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:30:21

So it was completed in Summer but they are just complaining now??

Is it ground floor? What shrubbery are between you and the neighbour 3 doors away?

I would have thought a bay would have given the same level of visibility as what has been put in

Has the work been signed off yet?

southeastmum2014 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:32:51

superram,
Thank you. I have been thinking exactly the same thing all day. How does a bay to square affect my view to theirs. They are anyway 3 doors away. They are not even celebrities. I am not into looking at other people's garden anyway. I have 9 month old baby. Tell me when do I have time to look at other people?
Well, I can only contact council once they are back to full functioning in the next year. Just wondering if there is anything I can do now.

southeastmum2014 Fri 30-Dec-16 18:34:36

Hi,
Yes completed in summer and all signed off. They never put in any objections when the plans were submitted. Now they are claiming privacy from this window and that they can see through it. I lost a lot of money during house built so couldn't get curtains yet. But this window will have curtains anyway.

PigletJohn Fri 30-Dec-16 19:41:02

you could put a tall pot plant between your windows and their sex pond hot tub

tiej Fri 30-Dec-16 21:55:22

Do you sit in the bay window breastfeeding the baby?

I'm semi serious.

PossumInAPearTree Fri 30-Dec-16 22:02:20

Tell the neighbour you will can always change it to a bay window as per the plans if they wish. Think they will back down then! grin

They had their chance to object when planning permission was being sought. They can bog off now. They can't make you brick it up and I doubt the council will care if it's square rather than a bay.

southeastmum2014 Fri 30-Dec-16 22:27:31

Tiej - haha. Not yet but can try.

pigletjohn - would have but its first floor.

Possuminapeartree - I am hoping my architect will advice the same. Just seems like a bloody problem. We haven't even settled properly. Baby started to walk so very busy running around him.

Tatey25 Fri 30-Dec-16 22:40:06

In pure planning terms it would become a problem if it was a material amendment. Changing from a bay to a square doesn't sound like one to me. In any event, depending on whether you are in a conservation zone or the building is listed, you are most probably allowed to change a window under permitted development rights.

I wouldn't worry about it.

If your Architect signed it off, I'm sure it will be right.
I would not contact the council, I'd leave it to the neighbours. Let them do the running around! If they complain and the council have an issue, just pass everything onto your Architect to sort. It's his problem, not yours - he professionally signed it off. You have his professional indemnity insurance to rely on if the worst came to the worst and the council insisted you changed it back to a bay. I really don't see it a problem though, and I certainly wouldn't be stressing over it at all. BW

southeastmum2014 Sat 31-Dec-16 12:25:36

Tatey25,
No material or design change except bay to square. Honestly even with bay window I would have been able to see only what I can see now with Square. I just don't understand why neighbors get so upset after extension. And they did one last year and no one on the street said anything to them. My two next door have not even complaining after hearing to our horror stories with a baby. In fact, adjacent neighbor always offer tea whenever we used to visit the work. And another parking in their drive way as ours is completely unusable.

southeastmum2014 Sat 31-Dec-16 12:26:42

Thank you ladies! Your words have really calmed me down and now I can enjoy my last day of 2016 with my baby. Have a good new year!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now