Talk

Advanced search

When does tradesman get paid in insurance job?

(6 Posts)
iminshock Fri 30-Dec-16 14:49:25

My brother is a plumber.
A friend got him to quote for an insurance job. The quote was acceptable to friend and to the insurers and he did the work.

That was 8 weeks ago.
Brother is owed £800( he has already paid half of that out in materials )

Friend says he will have to wait till she gets the insurance cheque before she pays him.

Brother thinks he should be paid by her now.

Who is right ?

LIZS Fri 30-Dec-16 14:56:07

He should have been paid. Was the insurer supposed to pay direct or the client pay and be reimbursed.

PigletJohn Fri 30-Dec-16 15:20:07

It is not the tradesman's fault that the insurers have not yet settled the claim. That should have been made clear from the start.

Your use of the word "friend" is inappropriate.

iminshock Fri 30-Dec-16 16:45:24

Thank you both.
John, you are right about this use of the word friend.

It's actually one of my friends which is a bit awkward.

iminshock Fri 30-Dec-16 16:49:41

LISZ I believe the insurer is going to pay the client ( the "friend")

She seems to think she should not be out of pocket till the cheque comes through. She is quite well off.

Meanwhile brother is out of pocket and the job has been completed. He has paid out about £550 on materials and paying his labourer.

BobbieDog Fri 30-Dec-16 16:50:36

Aviva take 3 months to pay car garages for repairs so i would say anything up to 3 months is about right.

Its always a bad idea doing insurance work. Our company refuse to deal with insurance companies due to them being a pain in the backside to get money out of when the job has been done

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now