Talk

Advanced search

Could anyone share their kitchen diner layout please? Large room 6x4.7m.

(14 Posts)
confusednortherner Thu 29-Dec-16 21:41:57

Please can someone help with our extension dilemma before I give up and keep the grotty 1960's one!
Wren designed one that's ok but we aren't convinced we aren't missing something. We are struggling to decide between range cooker and high oven separate hob.
Would like one end for dining and one for cooking but open to options......
Really hoping Howdens are going to be good when they reopen in the new year.

Artandco Thu 29-Dec-16 21:50:01

I don't like the high ovens, it means you have no side next to it or the empty jobs above to safely move hot dishes onto. Meaning you take hot casseroles out and have to cross over to island or to another side to put stuff down, further risk of dropping to burning

Are you planning an island? I think you gain more space not having island and having just a large dining table there. Then where you would have put dining table you can have extra sofa seating area or play area

confusednortherner Thu 29-Dec-16 21:59:24

Rough drawing here

confusednortherner Thu 29-Dec-16 22:05:52

My scribble above shows general idea, I've left other end of room off plan as that's going to be dining table and maybe comfy chair.
Where I've put hob could be a range cooker and had debated carrying on worktop from where oven may go and having a breakfast bar....
Maybe I'm trying to cram too much in by having such defined areas.
Might have to rethink and continue workgroup down that oven wall.

Iggity Thu 29-Dec-16 22:20:05

This is a draft of ours. It changed slightly with the layout on left in thst we have a double larder, American fridge freezer, tall single cupboard and then oven/microwave tower.

Iggity Thu 29-Dec-16 22:25:28

My plan did not show the dining area; its just a square room with table/chairs in middle. Our plan was done by an independent kitchen designer which we then brought to Howdens and Benchmarx.

confusednortherner Thu 29-Dec-16 22:35:14

Iggity do you know rough measurements of your kitchen bit? Yours looks similar to what I'm trying to fit in.

RumAppleGinger Thu 29-Dec-16 22:48:42

If I'm being honest I have no idea if my dimensions are even close to yours, I just wanted an excuse to share pictures of my new kitchen!

It's from Howdens and I definitely found them to be the most helpful and happy to redesign over again until I got exactly what I wanted.

MrCreosote Thu 29-Dec-16 22:52:16

I find that a breakfast bar with cupboards underneath are very handy and a range cooker a lot more practical. And better looking.

confusednortherner Thu 29-Dec-16 23:19:51

Rum that's a fabulous kitchen! Looks narrower than ours but useful seeing the fridge freezer like that as its how I'm thinking. I can see ours in yours if I twist it round!
MrCreosote I'm leaning towards range cooker but DH is worrying about getting down to it in old age!! I'm not quite at retirement age yet!

NotMeNoNo Fri 30-Dec-16 00:33:37

Our room is 3m x 6m and something like this.
Fridge is bottom right. Top left block represents a small sofa
If the room had been wider I'd have just spaced things out a bit more, had a bigger range and larder and more space round the table.
Do think about where you want your workspaces and the "routes" through the room. For instance I didn't want to obstruct between the two doors and I didn't want the "work triangle" to be obstructed by the table.

Joinourclub Fri 30-Dec-16 08:03:35

Rumappleginger talk to me about your shelving! That's what I want for my new kitchen diner.

Marmitelover55 Fri 30-Dec-16 17:39:13

Ours is on page 37 of the link. It's probably the wrong shape though as it's more of a galley layout.
pebblekitchens.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Pebble-Kitchens-Bespoke-Brochure.pdf

RumAppleGinger Fri 30-Dec-16 18:38:28

join the back wall? That's just billy bookcases from ikea, you can buy an extra piece from ikea to add onto the top to make them floor to ceiling. The other shelves our joiner made for us out of the left over work top.

Good luck with Howdens confused hope they sort you out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now