Talk

Advanced search

Worcester boiler - hot water running tepid

(19 Posts)
comehomemax Thu 29-Dec-16 17:05:00

Over the last 6 months, we've noticed our hot water running more and more tepid. The central heating is fine but when we run a bath, we used to have to add cold water to it - now we can fill the dc' s bath without any cold at all. And it's definitely running colder all the time.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong? The boiler is 5 years old.

Brontebiscuits Thu 29-Dec-16 17:06:34

Do you need to turn the temp up on the tap thermostat thingy on the boiler?

Catinthecorner Thu 29-Dec-16 18:09:37

Is it still covered? Our warranty is 8 years (I think).

AdventuresInHifi Thu 29-Dec-16 18:18:11

Is it downstairs too? I ask because we noticed this with our bath over winter and found that if we don't put the tap on full the water comes through really hot again! Open it fully and it's lukewarm. No explanation for it though sorry!

AdventuresInHifi Thu 29-Dec-16 18:18:42

Our downstairs water was still really hot

MrCreosote Thu 29-Dec-16 18:25:47

Is it a combi boiler or do you have a hot water tank? If combi, you should have a hot water dial. If your hot water is tank fed, you should have a thermostat dial on the tank. Check this first.

Lissettethehallswithholly Thu 29-Dec-16 18:34:36

May not be the boiler at all. We had our combined boiler checked twice as we had the exact same thing happen with our bath water. Turns out a mixer tap had failed and mains pressure water was going over into the hot water system. Our ensuite shower mixer had failed letting cold water flow back into the system. So get the bolier checked but if its not that then one of your mixer taps may have failed somewhere. Drove us barmy over 6 weeks until it was sussed out.

Lissettethehallswithholly Thu 29-Dec-16 18:37:30

adventure when you minimise the flow the water has a chance to get heated. If it is flowing faster it will be cooler.

AdventuresInHifi Thu 29-Dec-16 19:11:31

Thanks lissette ! That would explain it! Could that be a faulty valve or something do you know? It was fine in the summer so we took a very uneducated guess that it was because the water was much colder to start with !

Lissettethehallswithholly Thu 29-Dec-16 19:17:50

Do you have an eco setting on your boiler? I think when we have the boiler set to eco the boiler needs to heat the water whereas off the eco setting the water is preheated to use at will. I'm not sure that there is anything wrong adventure just that you have to slow down the flow to ensure the water has a chance to get heated.

comehomemax Thu 29-Dec-16 19:53:48

Thanks all. Yes, the boiler is downstairs and its a combo boiler. I can't see any type of water dial other than the pressure bit which is fine and the main thermostat that controls the heating.

I've just tried running the tap on only a fraction on and it was definitely hotter - as I turn the tap up fully, the temperature definitely drops. There also is an eco button so I will see if that has any impact too.

Thanks so much for all the advice.

MrCreosote Thu 29-Dec-16 20:10:17

That was going to be my next suggestion. With combi boilers, during winter months, when the cold water temperature is lower, it takes longer for the water to heat up. If the water goes too fast through the boiler, it won't get hot enough.

Lissettethehallswithholly Thu 29-Dec-16 20:11:05

Our bath was a fraction hotter if we reduced the flow and when the heating was on the water was hotter again but something was still not right. The water was never very hot, not even downstairs in the kitchen. I read about a faulty mixer allowing mains pressure cold water into the system thus diluting the hot water and when the gas engineer came out a second time, I suggested that to him. He was sceptical but eventually, having eliminated a boiler problem, he checked with a plumber mate. So we called out a plumber who checked out the thermostatic valve in the shower and it was faulty. After that we had really hot water all over the house!

Lissettethehallswithholly Thu 29-Dec-16 20:18:44

Could be a diverter valve in the combi either. That's when the combi doesn't divert from rads to hot water so when central heating should be off the rads are getting hot but there's no hot water.

comehomemax Thu 29-Dec-16 20:58:53

Is the diverter valve easy to spot??

MrCreosote Thu 29-Dec-16 22:31:19

If your boiler is similar to others I know. When you turn your heating on and then use the hot water, power should be diverted to the hot water. If your heating is get as warm as when you are not using your hot water, you might have a problem with a valve. Hope this is helpful.

Namechangeemergency Thu 29-Dec-16 22:35:18

We had this recently and it was the diverted valve. It had to be replaced.

I can't tell you how lovely it is to have a hot shower after weeks of tepid ones.

Lissettethehallswithholly Thu 29-Dec-16 23:35:56

You'd need an engineer to replace it come home

comehomemax Fri 30-Dec-16 08:22:53

Thanks, I will have to get that sorted in the new year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now