Advanced search

Insurance claim for property let in the UK

(5 Posts)
NewToRenting Thu 29-Dec-16 13:00:34

We live outside the UK but have a small flat let out in the UK, fully managed by an estate agent.

There was minor damage to the kitchen floor reported last yr in July, which we assumed was aging lino and put off repairing.
By Nov it had got much worse and an independent tradesman had a look and told us there's extensive water damage. Aside from the underfloor damage that needs to be fixed, the entire kitchen floor and maybe the cabinets too will need replacing.

Unfortunately we changed insurance agents in September, so the new ones (AXA) are saying the damage started before we started insuring you. The previous ones (Allianz) are no longer the insurers so won't entertain the claim either.

Does this mean basically we're stuffed, despite paying for insurance cover throughout?

Mrsladybirdface Thu 29-Dec-16 18:43:50

This isn't the insurers fault..more than likely if you had fixed the problem back in July it wouldn't need the extent of repairs now.

So yes I think you are stuffed, sorry

Bigbongos123 Thu 29-Dec-16 20:43:40

You 'put off' repairing?

You sound like a rubbish landlord and this situation is of your own making.

LIZS Thu 29-Dec-16 20:48:22

Insurance doesn't usually cover lack of maintenance.

NewToRenting Fri 30-Dec-16 04:19:59

Obviously I'm kicking myself for it now. At the time, we assumed it was just normal wear and tear (and not a maintenance issue). Had we known there was a leak, obviously we would have addressed it right away.

My question was more from the point of view of the insurance cover. Is it right that neither ought to pay?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: