Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas on layout? Really would appreciAte some help!

(15 Posts)
Spudsulike Wed 28-Dec-16 15:05:18

New house is very dated and needs rewiring, new heating etc. Thought would be best to live in for a while to see what works but still not sure. Has a large loft so looking to extend it and have a master bedroom and ensuite so open to losing a bedroom on first floor. Ground floor is higgledy piggledy which is nice but inpractical as rooms too small to be fully functional. Open to any ideas here. Extending out to back should be approved too as others have. Just have no idea what night work. Thanks!

Spudsulike Wed 28-Dec-16 15:06:06

Have 2 young DC too (if influences ideas!)

eeyore2 Wed 28-Dec-16 15:11:11

I suggest knock through kitchen and study to make nice big kitchen. Open a doorway / opening into the living room too to make it more open plan. Use the conservatory either for dining. Then you have a nice big living room which you can have half as 'nice' and the end of it as a play area. You lose the study but you get. Wonderful loving space

PurpleWithRed Wed 28-Dec-16 15:14:25

Budget! top of head - knock kitchen/utility/little downstairs loo all together to make lovely big kitchen/diner. Cosider adding study in as a snug/p;lay area off the kitchen for while kids are small. Reinstate wall between reception and dining room to make dining room into a study/computer area/teen room for when kids are older. Upstairs can't see the picture any more but sacrifice a bedroom to make a decent family bathroom and do loft conversion for master + ensuite

PurpleWithRed Wed 28-Dec-16 15:17:10

upstairs make bedroom 4 the family bathroom, bedroom 3 knock through to bathroom and loo and make nice bigger bedroom + ensuite.

littlemissneela Wed 28-Dec-16 15:26:14

I would swap the study and dining room, as the current dining room is too far from the kitchen.
The utility is massive compared to the kitchen, so maybe make those two rooms into one, and make a smaller utility room closer to the garage.
If you are going into the loft, I would turn bedrooms 3&4 into one large bedroom, turn the bathroom and toilet into an ensuite. I would then put in a new bathroom between the current master and other bedroom. I guess it depends where the staircase will go for the loft room.
I would live with it for a while, like you said, and I am sure some ideas will come to you that way.

Spudsulike Wed 28-Dec-16 15:32:05

Thank you all. I was thinking of knocking study/kitchen and conservatory all into one but quite a random room size/shape. Am going to have a play around with some drawings and will be back later with them! Really appreciate it.

MrCreosote Wed 28-Dec-16 17:00:21

What ever you decide, do not have your living room open. My old house was open and felt cold in winter.

You have a very big utility. I'd knock through, create a smaller utility, knock through to the study and make a large kitchen/diner.

Your current dinning room can then be the snug/study.

I'd also get rid of the small WC and make it part of the utility.

MrCreosote Wed 28-Dec-16 17:03:14

If you do decide to go up into the loft, you will need planning permission and re-enforced beams to take extra weight.

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 28-Dec-16 17:24:06

If you go up into the loft you will also need to keep the stairs and route out fire safe ... so can't open plan the stairs etc

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 28-Dec-16 17:24:38

Well you can if you install a sprinkler system !

InTheDessert Wed 28-Dec-16 17:41:26

I'd knock the utility and kitchen into a kitchen diner, and square off the room by making the utility join onto the garage, with the door access.
Do you need 2 downstairs loos?? Can you mess about with joining them so you can make a massive, light square entrance hall, which might make it feel like it flows better?

Upstairs... How is the roof height? Can you get rid of the North ish facing bathroom and seperate toilet for stair space, and turn bed 4 into bathroom.

littlemissneela Wed 28-Dec-16 17:48:43

We are in the process of buying a house which we want to create a loft bedroom. From our searching we would usually only need building regs, but we will need planning permission as we need to do a dormer window in order to get the height clearance required at the top of the stairs.

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 28-Dec-16 18:13:53

Fire regs would be needed with this property as it's got two floors already - if the property you are converting is currently a bungalow little miss then the fire regs wouldn't kick in in the same way, as it's still only two floors not more.

littlemissneela Wed 28-Dec-16 23:54:48

Im new to all this stuff, but I thought building regs covered things like making sure fire regs are adhered to. The place we are buying is a 2 storey house, and we know we need to factor in a fire escape for the loft room, which will be via the dormer we are putting in. There is already a velux window at the back but thats over a glass roofed sunroom so not an ideal escape route.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now