Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Have spotted perfect house but ours isn't on the market yet... Give me some hope?!

(11 Posts)
HariboFrenzy Tue 27-Dec-16 20:38:35

I know it's far from an ideal situation. We are in the process of waiting for planning permission to extend our house, and as such it would take a special place to make us move... And I think I've found it blush. The house I've seen is empty and there is no upward chain... We've got no chance have we? sad

FlowersandFunk Wed 28-Dec-16 10:07:26

The people who bought our old house saw it when theirs wasn't on the market. They went away, put theirs on the market the following week and the next week they had an offer, offered on ours and ended up buying it.
There is hope but you need to act quickly!

PurpleMcPants Wed 28-Dec-16 10:18:22

Yeah, it's worked for us too. Saw house on Tuesday, got ours on the market by Friday (with same agent) and had sold it by the following weekend.

clumsyduck Wed 28-Dec-16 10:19:23

Hope if you act quick but you need to sure ???!!

clumsyduck Wed 28-Dec-16 10:19:42

Be sure *

xyzandabc Wed 28-Dec-16 10:22:03

This happened to our friends. Their ideal house came on to the market. They immediately put theirs up for sale, had above asking price offers within a week, moved 10 weeks after first seeing their new house.

We're at the other end of the spectrum, we've been on the market since September, have had 4 good offers but can't find anywhere to move to.

HerodZackHunt Wed 28-Dec-16 10:32:14

Yes we did it too. Be quick, be decisive and above all go on the market with the same agent making it clear you are only moving if you buy that house. Tie up two lots of commission which is worth more to them than getting an extra 15K on one sale. You may have to price your house competitively so don't try a higher price for a few weeks etc and be flexible on viewings.

LunaLovebad Wed 28-Dec-16 10:52:50

We did it too, our dream house came on the market and we viewed it at 9am the following day. We went home, called our mortgage company, got our mortgage in principle, then put on an offer. The offer was higher than we would have made if we'd been in a better position ourselves, but we had to go in high to show we were serious. The vendor (probably slightly swayed by the agent who was going to get to sell ours too) kindly gave us 2 weeks to get ours on the market and under offer, which we did. Very stressful but we got there, so it can happen. I'd say go for it, but be prepared to move fast and fight for it.

CotswoldStrife Wed 28-Dec-16 11:35:06

Why where you looking at other property anyway - did you want to move really?

I wouldn't accept an offer from someone that couldn't proceed with the sale. Do you think the property will sell quickly? Would you be willing to put yours on the market immediately? And do the rest of your household actually want to move?!

We have done it in the past, but the housing market was different then. Good luck if you decide to go for it, it could well be doable depending on the housing market in your area.

HariboFrenzy Thu 29-Dec-16 21:17:10

Thanks for replies. Having been to view the house and speaking to the seller, other people in our position have made offers and he is understandably not accepting until someone is in a position to proceed.

I wasn't 'wowed' when we saw it and think I'm just getting cold feet worrying about the upheaval of our proposed extension...

Will keep an eye on what's for sale locally but think we will bite the bullet and go for the extension...

anotherBadAvatar Fri 30-Dec-16 07:54:40

We had been planning on moving for a couple of months and were slowing getting our ducks in a row (painting/decluttering etc) when I saw an amazing house on RM.

It pushed us on to get going with our house which we got finished and onto the market in a month.

Meanwhile an offer had been accepted on the "dream" house, but we let our interest be known, and when that sale fell through, we pounced because we'd accepted an offer from someone with no chain in order to be proceedable quickly. Been in 7m now! Yippee!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now