Advanced search

Need an architect?

(6 Posts)
winkywinkola Sun 25-Dec-16 15:46:17

Our house needs rejigging in terms of layout. Moving walls, re-evaluation of room function etc.

I need an outsider or professional perspective on this. Is an architect the person for this job?

Tatey25 Sun 25-Dec-16 16:10:10

An Architect will definitely be able to listen to your requirements and come up with a few options for you. An Architect can also project manage and obtain competitive builders quotes for you. Good luck!

SauvignonGrower Sun 25-Dec-16 18:54:52

We used an architect for this. Some want to charge a fee for the whole project but that didn't really make sense for us with the re-working so we found one who allowed us to charge by the hour.

They had good ideas, forced us to understand all the pros and cons, sketched a load of ideas and then made final plans that a structural engineer could use.

lovelearning Sun 25-Dec-16 18:58:49

Is an architect the person for this job?


OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 26-Dec-16 18:42:33

Or maybe a space planner ...
to get the initial ideas flowing - then get in touch with a structural engineer for any supporting wall calcs for opening through them ... not necessarily a job just for an architect .

Tatey25 Thu 29-Dec-16 01:20:50

There are lots of different ways you could approach this project, but If you have very little property knowledge then I would certainly recommend an Architect or Architectural technician because they are a single point of professional responsibility who can bring in other professionals/advisors and offer impartial property and procurement advice when it comes to tendering and selecting a decent builder.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: