Talk

Advanced search

Tumble dryer on kitchen island?

(15 Posts)
gruffalocake2 Fri 23-Dec-16 17:54:05

I'm trying to plan our new kitchen and would love a washing machine and tumble dryer but struggling to fit them in. Could i put a tumble dryer (condenser) on an island?
Would it be deeper than other cabinets or mess it up in some other way?

fabulousathome Fri 23-Dec-16 18:11:55

As long as you can get the plumbing right then I don't see why not.

I have a fabulous Miele washer-dryer which washes as well as dries and only takes up the space of one machine. Could this be an option for you?

gruffalocake2 Fri 23-Dec-16 18:19:34

Yes I think that's the other option but so many people seem quite negative about washer dryers so unsure. Was the Miele expensive? Have you had it long?
I guess a good washer dryer could be the best solution in terms of space...

fabulousathome Fri 23-Dec-16 19:03:48

It's really fantastic. I've had it for seven years. Only one repair needed, when I washed Mother in law's toilet mat that disintegrated! Miele have good guarantees too. Sometimes 10 years parts and labor if there is an offer. Mine had five years. It weighs 101kg so you might need the floor strengthened. It's not at all cheap but in the long run it is probably a bargain, as they last so long. Look at reviews online.

fabulousathome Fri 23-Dec-16 19:11:42

Is it expensive you ask, sit down and then look at this:

www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/Miele-WTF130-1600-Spin-7kg-4kg-Washer-Dryer-in-Whte-with-Chrome-Door/id-MIE-WDR-WTF130WPM-W?gclid=CP6Zgp2Ci9ECFZcW0wodRoQB4g

SerialReJoiner Fri 23-Dec-16 19:24:27

Gulp!

The amount you can wash (7kg) is less than what you can dry (4kg). Does that mean you are hanging out half a load every time just to use the dryer function?

fabulousathome Fri 23-Dec-16 19:35:34

Yes. I admit I don't always use the dryer function as I have a cupboard that I dry stuff in. Also I would take out things like socks and underwear which dry without creases anyway so there is less in the load.

Mine has a great function called Smoothing. It's an eight minute program that means clothes come out very hot but still wet. Hang up immediately and no ironing is needed! At one point I had my husband and boys needing a clean shirt every day and used this program. I even use this program for linen items and again, no creases (can you tell I hate ironing?)

YelloDraw Fri 23-Dec-16 19:47:24

Don't get a washer-dryer. Even the good ones are shit.

I can't see why you can't have a condernser TD in the island. Check measurements before committing obviously.

ImNotReallyReal Fri 23-Dec-16 19:52:59

In my old house i used to have my condenser dryer upstairs in the airing cupboard, it just seemed sensible as that was where I put clothes away and allowed space for more cupboards in the kitchen.

It's now in the basement (we have a laundry room down there), three bloody flights of stairs. What on earth was I thinking?

Anyway, any chance of putting it somewhere out of sight upstairs?

gruffalocake2 Fri 23-Dec-16 19:57:50

Thanks YelloDraw I'll check measurements and see what works.

The Miele is quite a scary price! Especially for such small loads. I've just seen this JohnLewis one for £600 9k/6k capacity which could work well if we go for a w/d

m.johnlewis.com/john-lewis-jlwd1613-washer-dryer-9kg-wash-6kg-dry-load-a-energy-rating-1600rpm-spin-white/p/2331775

YelloDraw Sat 24-Dec-16 10:53:16

In my old house i used to have my condenser dryer upstairs in the airing cupboard

Yes especially in flats you have a utility cupboard out of the kitchen.

Could you put a TD in the cupboard where the water tank used to go?

Fluffyears Sat 24-Dec-16 18:20:42

I have had a washer dryer for the past ten years (candy and whirlpool) and I find them excellent I can't understand why people hate them so much. My last one was left when I sold the house and I now have a new one.

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 26-Dec-16 19:08:29

Due to the lack of integrated condenser tumble dryers on the market - I've often designed kitchens with two integrated washer dryers in them - ( for families ) that can be used concurrently or individually . That might help - as this type of machine are designed to line up with cabinets and have the finishing touch of matching cabinet door and plinth - so look like kitchen cabinets !

Wiifitmama Mon 26-Dec-16 19:36:34

I have just had our new kitchen designed (on paper) by an independent kitchen designer and he has positioned the washing machine and tumble dryer in our island. In fact, the sink, dishwasher, tumble drier and washing machine are all on there. It is 4x 60 plus in between bits. Our island is one and a half depth though if that makes a difference. Our washer and drier are Miele by the way and are still going strong 7 years after we bought them and we are not buying new for the new kitchen. I love them and plan for them to be around many more years. Well worth the money.

YelloDraw Mon 26-Dec-16 23:21:05

*i can't understand why people hate them so much

The dry capacity is much smaller than the wash capacity.
Can't W and d loads concurrently so overall takes longer.
Don't seem to do a great job of W or D for the money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now