Talk

Advanced search

Buyer wanting money after property is sold.

(10 Posts)
fuzzyfozzy Fri 23-Dec-16 16:00:27

My mum has sold a property, contracts exchanged money transferred etc. Prior to the sale, many professionals visited - surveyors, builders etc and the price was dropped several times.
My mum has now received a solicitor's letter to say they've found asbestos under a tiled floor and they want money??!
Have they any rights?

ChristmasTreats Fri 23-Dec-16 16:09:17

Depending on the age of the property you would expect asbestos. I can't imagine they have any recourse as surely it's buyer beware.

wowfudge Fri 23-Dec-16 16:09:47

I doubt it, but what is the letter asking for? Did your mother answer all the questions she was asked truthfully? The general principle is caveat emptor so if none of the surveys picked up on this and your mum didn't lie if asked about the presence of asbestos then the buyers will just have to swallow it. She should send a copy to her solicitor and get their advice on how to respond. Some people are bonkers and/or very pushy.

SocksRock Fri 23-Dec-16 16:23:16

Nope. Buyer beware. As long as your Mum didn't give any guarantees that there was definitely no asbestos they are trying it on. And quite frankly, if there is asbestos UNDER tiles the best thing they can do it not disturb it. Asbestos is only a hazard when it is disturbed and fibres released. We have asbestos under our tiles as it was safer to tile over them than try and remove them.

fuzzyfozzy Fri 23-Dec-16 16:35:46

Thanks for the replies, they didn't know it was there as they've not had the tiles up. I presume you can't guarantee there's no asbestos if you haven't found it yourself? I'm hoping they're just the type to try it on. I've not seen the letter yet.

lovelearning Fri 23-Dec-16 16:41:00

Have they any rights?

No.

Caveat emptor.

The buyers' recourse would be with their surveyor.

SocksRock Fri 23-Dec-16 16:46:16

There is no way to guarantee no asbestos. Unless the house was built after 2001 when it was made illegal to use it.

SocksRock Fri 23-Dec-16 16:47:06

Can she not just forward it to her solicitor to deal with? They would charge but at least she would have no stress about it

ChristmasTreats Fri 23-Dec-16 18:19:33

Surely most buses do have some somewhere? As socksrock says it is only relatively new house that won't.

fuzzyfozzy Fri 23-Dec-16 18:20:46

Yes the solicitor is dealing with it but I wanted to reassure her as it's over Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now