loader

Talk

Advanced search

coal mining subsidence

(2 Posts)
stressedhomebuyer Fri 23-Dec-16 06:40:52

Hi all- first ever post!

I would be grateful for your advice!

I am in the process of purchasing a property. We have the initial coal mining report that states that our property is within 50m of coal mining subsidence claims. We have have had a full structural survey (full report pending) but verbal confirmation there is no evidence of current subsidence and we are awaiting a full mining report for the area.

We want to know if this will affect the value of our future home and if we should go ahead with the purchase or if we should ask for a reduction in the sale price of the property especially in view of the fact that it will cost us significantly more to insure.

We would love to hear from you!

wowfudge Fri 23-Dec-16 10:13:36

First you need to know if any underpinning or wall stitching has been carried out to the house. If it has then although insurance is likely to be pricier, you should have a sound house.

If the vendors have lived there a long time with no problems, they are less likely to take a reduction in sale price. Prices in the area probably reflect the incidence of subsidence anyway.

It may be different if the old mine shafts and worked seams affect only a small area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now