Talk

Advanced search

How would you change the layout of this house?

(16 Posts)
Splandy Wed 21-Dec-16 20:03:51

We're considering whether to carry out work on our house or move. This house is an option. We haven't viewed it but I have a floor plan. The work we intend to carry out in our house would give us a small utility room and downstairs toilet. I would want a kitchen diner in this house rather than two separate rooms, so a wall would have to be removed. How would you rejig this space to get a kitchen diner with utility room and downstairs toilet in the best places? https://ianperks.org/MediaFilez/sales/3022/20%20St%20Michaels%20Grove_Dudley.pdf

Splandy Wed 21-Dec-16 20:04:43

Not sure how to make that a clickable link- sorry.

RandomMess Wed 21-Dec-16 20:07:23

ianperks.org/MediaFilez/sales/3022/20%20St%20Michaels%20Grove_Dudley.pdf

RandomMess Wed 21-Dec-16 20:10:21

I'd make the current kitchen a utility and WC and then the rest open plan into the current dining room - will be dark though unless you can rejig to keep some light coming in from current kitchen area.

Also how much are your prepared to spend...

RandomMess Wed 21-Dec-16 20:11:27

Actually you'd have the windows from current WC and store so should be ok!

TheTantrumCometh Wed 21-Dec-16 20:12:23

If possible I think I would move the toilet into the store room next to the kitchen, then make the existing toilet and the storeroom next to it into a utility.

SwedishEdith Wed 21-Dec-16 20:19:43

What are the dimensions of the two store rooms? I'd just knock down the wall between kitchen and dining room, convert small store to toilet and make current toilet and other store the utility room. Unless they're only 1 foot wide grin

SwedishEdith Wed 21-Dec-16 20:23:38

Took me so long to post that, it's already been said.

Joinourclub Wed 21-Dec-16 20:31:53

Knock through between the stores, loo and kitchen and dining. Continue wall from lower store along to meet right hand wall. Create utility / loo between this wall and living room,

Splandy Wed 21-Dec-16 20:46:30

Thanks! Didn't expect such quick replies. Also don't know why I didn't think of that obvious solution. Not sure how big they are. I haven't seen it in person and there are no dimensions for those rooms. I'd guess quite small. Do you think swapping kitchen and dining areas would also work? I think the kitchen could then be u-shaped with doors leading into garden from dining area. The current dining room is bigger than the kitchen. I'm still leaning towards doing up our house but this would require less work. House itself is quite a lot more though and area is considered much nicer but has less going for it for me personally than where I currently live. But this is a detached house. Hmmm...

Splandy Wed 21-Dec-16 20:48:47

Just seen the other suggestion which was what I initially thought but I assume would be much more expensive because of moving plumbing. But then wouldn't be wasting any garden view on toilet.

Babytalkobsession Wed 21-Dec-16 21:00:58

Could you extend into the side return to give you a large kitchen diner?

Splandy Wed 21-Dec-16 21:28:28

That would create the best room but think it would be out of our budget. Buying the house would be quite a step up for us. If we stay in our current house, we're talking about a small extension. Doubt we could move and extend.

DoosyFartlek Sat 24-Dec-16 07:44:33

I would get rid of the store next to the kitchen to create a bigger kitchen and add small dining table

Put tumble dryer/washing machine on top of each other and stick it in the store next to the stairs

DoosyFartlek Sat 24-Dec-16 07:46:31

Or just put a washing machine and dryer in either store and knock the dining room wall down

user1471549018 Sat 24-Dec-16 11:39:22

I would move WC into store by stairs as others have said. I'd block up door to dining room and move door to kitchen just after new WC (old store). I'd then completely knock out wc and store in kitchen and have kitchen units down each wall (as in galley kitchen style). Id have french doors put into the end wall opening out onto the garden. Finally I'd knock down the corner of wall left between the dining room and kitchen to make them open plan. You could then either have your table in the kitchen and sofas in the dining room, or keep it as a dining room.

For the utility space I'd put a utility cupboard upstairs by pinching the corner of the bathroom in front of the toilet (accessed from landing though).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now