Talk

Advanced search

Beginners guide to buying and selling a house

(8 Posts)
MaryManchego Wed 21-Dec-16 06:13:57

Can anyone recommend a site /book or something? I've been a ftb, got a house but now I would like a different one and don't know where to start! Current house likely to go to a FTB or a buy to let person (so hopefully no chain this end)

I've seen a house I am crushing on - -badly-- but I gather I need to find a buyer for this before I can really express an interest or do anything. All this adulting is scary grin

MaryManchego Wed 21-Dec-16 06:22:14

The house I want has been on the market for 3 months or so, so I'm really hoping no one else nabs it. There's schools nearby and a garden that will make guinea pigs possible blush (priorities) plus off road parking and more toilets than currently...

didireallysaythat Wed 21-Dec-16 07:05:38

May not be available or up to date but 15 years ago I used the which guide to buying a house (a book rather than an online offering) and it was useful.

MaryManchego Wed 21-Dec-16 07:07:53

Thanks I'll have a look. Old school here, quite like a book grin

AccioNameChange Wed 21-Dec-16 14:14:05

Google Money Saving Expert First Time Buyers guide. It's good.

AccioNameChange Wed 21-Dec-16 14:17:04

Sorry just saw you are not a FTB! <should read before talking...>

You need to be "proceedable" before a seller will take your offer for the place you want seriously. This means have an offer on your own place and a mortgage at least in principle.

Get yours valued by an estate agent and on the market if you are seriously considering moving, and call a broker and get an agreement in principle for a new mortgage.

pinkunicornsarefluffy Wed 21-Dec-16 14:21:36

You need to get your house on the market ASAP if you want to put an offer in on something else as most won't take you seriously or accept an offer unless you can proceed. Some will wait if not in a hurry themselves but you need to be in a strong position.

Get your house valued by 2 or 3 agents, then get it on but you won't get it done until January now.

Then contact a financial advisor if you need to borrow any extra money and get a mortgage offer in place.

View the house you want and talk to the agent about it.

Good luck!

MaryManchego Wed 21-Dec-16 17:41:07

I've spoken to the agent, they're not in a rush and no chain.

Eek.

Might have to crack on then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now