Talk

Advanced search

Builder disappeared half way

(12 Posts)
user1473914879 Mon 19-Dec-16 11:54:53

We are half way through a garage conversion, the builder has not turned up for 7 days, i texted this morning, no response. We paid in stages, but he kept asking for money in advance 'for material and labour'; we now have paid in full.

He was given the key to the garage, worked for many straight days, the bulk of the work is done, but left it at that. The skylights are yet to be fitted, it rained and you can imagine the rest. we had and we just leave him to it.

He worked for us in the summer on the garden and pavement, hard working lad, no problem then; he said he worked on roofs so we rang him when we were converting garage and needed a new flat roof, he said he could do all the work, roof and internal, we had no reason not to believe him.

I made him tea whenever he comes in, I think we got on well, he is quiet and of few words, so most days we just leave him to it.

He said a few weeks ago that he aim to finish before Christmas, we have not seen him for 7 days today still no sign, what do I do?

lalalonglegs Mon 19-Dec-16 12:24:13

Do you know where he lives? If so, go around there and try to speak to him. If not, keep trying his mobile, try phoning from numbers that he doesn't know are yours. Do you have a contract and is it enforceable? How much £-worth of work do you think you have left? Has he gone through building regs so do you, at least, know the work so far is done to the correct standards?

Sometimes, and I know this is horrible to contemplate, you just have to accept that the builder isn't going to sort it out and you need to get someone else in.Try your best to pursue it but bear in mind that if the amount of work left to do is relatively small, it may be worth getting someone else in. It's a tough lesson to learn sad.

user1473914879 Mon 19-Dec-16 19:30:33

Thanks for your reply~ it's 12k We've paid for about 12 days work, two people... T_T... probably the most pricey flat roof within the M25.the flat roof has a skylight that the builder said he ordered from a glass shop, not arrived yet. Building control visited twice while the builder was on site so hopefully it's all done by the books.

We are first time buyers, had little dealings with trade people before, I do not want to believe that we've been done by, I just still have faith in people. I had a feeling that the builder might have gone into some difficulties that money we paid him had been used to pay for something else,( he did say his van had broken down and would cost a small fortune) . May be he was working somewhere else to make extra cash....

I hope I am right.

SwearyGodmother Mon 19-Dec-16 19:41:58

A very similar thing happened to us over a kitchen in the summer, user and we ended up having to go to small claims court via money claim online. We haven't seen any of the money yet but got judgment and need to appoint bailiffs or something. He just disappeared when I sent him the snagging list and failed to ever respond to our phone calls ever again. I wrote to him a few times and still nothing, hence going to court.

In your position I'd write to him and send it as a signed for delivery so you can prove he received it asking for him to complete the job. If he ignores that you can follow up saying you will need to take action if he doesn't respond with plans of how to complete job.

Our builder had done work for us before as well (and is within the m25 so I wonder if it's the same cowboy) and we had no reason to believe he'd do what he did. I'm never paying before the job is completed to my satisfaction in the future.

user1473914879 Mon 19-Dec-16 22:50:10

Getting working now, tried ringing twice, line got cut off, arghhh.. losing faith in people...

user1473914879 Mon 19-Dec-16 22:50:59

Sorry getting "worried" not "worked."..

Karcheer Mon 19-Dec-16 23:07:47

Our building abandoned us in August 2/3rds of the way through a large extension, he also abandoned his team who all eventually knocked on my door! I employed them all separately and project managed the rest of the build. I'm exhausted and costed more than we ever imagined. It is what it is, is my motto!
Good luck hope it all turns out ok.

user1473914879 Tue 20-Dec-16 10:35:21

Thanks for the wake up call, my head agrees with you, my heart just goes No~~ it can't be..

Well done for project managing your extension, the builder kept saying he could do the electrics the plumbing the double glazing etc and gave me a package quote for Everything.. will pluck up the courage and find other workmen.

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none, now how did I forget about the middle bit angry

user1473914879 Wed 21-Dec-16 23:03:03

Update~~~ builder just texted me after two weeks, "Van broke down, having major problem" said he will come back tomorrow and work but need to pay him for some extra work that had not been quoted for, guess he might be struggling and is looking for more work to make ends meet.

Shall I go along?

SwearyGodmother Thu 22-Dec-16 08:27:12

So he wants more money but hasn't done the work you've paid him for yet? I would suggest that maybe he do that work before he gets any more money but really I wouldn't have him back. Don't be a mug.

YelloDraw Thu 22-Dec-16 09:24:28

Maybe see if he can come round so you can discuss what has been to date versus quote, what is still to be done, what extras have been done, what extras haven been asked for not yet done - and what has been paid for.

user1473914879 Thu 22-Dec-16 11:30:37

Thanks all, I replied last and pointed gently to the urgent work I.e windows and doors, and ask for an exact figure for the extra work... thought it might be better than getting someone else to start; no reply and no show..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now