Talk

Advanced search

Shower leaking AGAIN really fed up now

(10 Posts)
Ledkr Sun 18-Dec-16 22:39:06

I have a shower which is pretty standard as in a tray which edges join up to a tiled walls on 3 sides.
We have had problems with the shower leaking through the join and so had it re grouted and sealed which lasted a few weeks then started leaking again.
So we paid a fortune to have it all ripped out, new tray and the entire shower retiled.
It's been fine for months but now leaking once again!
We can see where it's leaking and the grouting seemed to have developed cracks as the shower tray seems to have once agIn come away slightly from the wall.
we just don't know why this is.
Can only imagine that there is movement of the tray when it's stood in.
Why would this be and how can we rectify it?
I think the tray is sat onto a raised area as there obviously has to be room for the drain and waste pipe undeneath but surely that's a standard thing.
Help!

wowfudge Mon 19-Dec-16 06:19:13

Is there a crack in the underlying plaster or wall? Was anything used to weight the shower tray when the silicone sealant was applied? I ask this because when you seal around a bath you are supposed to fill it with water first. If you don't then it can pull away from the sealant in use.

WetNovemberDay Mon 19-Dec-16 06:31:56

Having been through this once (with lots of water damage ) Isympathise.

What is your shower tray made of?

Ledkr Mon 19-Dec-16 07:59:21

It's ceramic.
Not sure if it was weighted but I'm pretty sure that's the issue.
The other shower is broken so I've just ordered a shower tap attachment off Amazon to go on with!

homeaway Mon 19-Dec-16 08:35:23

Is there silicone around the shower base at the bottom of the tiles ? The shower should not move at all, so are the feet adjusted properly ? Lastly the grout inside the shower should be a waterproof grout.

Ledkr Mon 19-Dec-16 09:34:14

Yes all that!
Unfortunately I do suspect it's the base not sited properly as the guys who did it turned out to be slightly clueless!

WetNovemberDay Mon 19-Dec-16 09:39:47

We were told only to have stone resin showe tray because they won't move at all.
Our previous one was something plasticy and part of the leak problem.

The sealant around the glass should be on the outside not inside of the shower unit. Ours was on inside when it leaked.

Our plumber/bathroom fitter spent a long time getting the floor and walls right after ripping out our leaky one. We had new wall and floor panels - previous were water damaged but I think he wanted bettet rigidity as well. He used aqua board as it's pretty solid and waterproof. Then tiled on top.

I think we ordered our shower tray from ibath on amazon. Stone ceramic. It's like a block on concrete in weight bit it's so solid there is no chance of movement.

I feel awful for you. This time last year is when our issues started. It took until August to dry out and wait for a good plumber to do the job. Despite having a huge new jacuzzi put in at the same time it's my shower I love after 8 months of baths only!! Hope you get fixed.

WetNovemberDay Mon 19-Dec-16 09:40:55

Not stone ceramic sorry. Stone Resin

WetNovemberDay Mon 19-Dec-16 09:44:47

You need a real expert to fit it in my experience. Good plumbers/fitters are like rocking horse poo. We heard of a good local bloke in his fifties. Once booked we had to wait 3 months for his availability. He wasn't the fastest but he was a perfectionist and a bit old school. If you have other bathroom facilities I'd research hard and wait for them to be free. It's not a job that can be hashed.

homeaway Mon 19-Dec-16 11:16:16

If it is not ceramic there will be" give " when you step in it. I would have a look on the check a trade website and use a tradesman with a good rating who will be able to solve the problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now