Talk

Advanced search

Restoring stained wooden beams?

(10 Posts)
ApplesTheHare Sun 18-Dec-16 21:24:58

Has anyone done this and, if so, what was the approx. cost?

We'd love to strip back our wooden beams as they're currently heavily stained/painted but I can't find costings anywhere. I'll go down the quote route eventually but a rough idea would help for now!

321zerobaby Sun 18-Dec-16 21:27:34

I did, but years ago, in the days before internet and I could only find one company in the back of a house magazine. We tried Nitromors ourselves, which didn't do anything, so we got a company in to sand blast them. They looked lovely afterwards |(they were shiny black to start with).

321zerobaby Sun 18-Dec-16 21:28:01

Sorry forgot to add I have no recollection of cost!

ApplesTheHare Mon 19-Dec-16 08:38:20

Thanks zero glad to hear they looked good and I'm assuming it didn't cost an arm and leg or you'd remember??

321zerobaby Wed 21-Dec-16 08:53:16

It was probably 24 years ago. It was mor Ethan I wanted to pay, but oculd only find one company. Maybe 250 quid, which was a lot at the time! Tiny room too. Have you managed to find any company's or get any quotes?

ApplesTheHare Fri 23-Dec-16 06:48:03

No, we moved in this week so realistically we won't get quotes until next year now. I just wanted a ballpark figure as part of planning what to do with all our new rooms. I should probably be focused on unpacking boxes! grin

321zerobaby Fri 23-Dec-16 08:39:56

What age is your house?

ApplesTheHare Sun 25-Dec-16 18:34:50

Built around 1680, we think. It was part of a big coach house/stables/skilled workers cluster of buildings and land.

Bluntness100 Sun 25-Dec-16 18:39:18

We had ours sandblasted, for all of downstairs took about four days and cost 4 k. That included all doors, fireplace, kitchen, halls and living room and the rooms are large. It's messy but totally worth it

ApplesTheHare Fri 30-Dec-16 23:38:26

Thanks Bluntness, useful to know it's not just beams that can be done. When was it that you had the work done?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now