Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Cheap house - what % would you spend on a kitchen and bathroom ?

(8 Posts)
Newbrummie Sun 18-Dec-16 09:36:33

It'll be a buy to let eventually but initially I'm living in it. It really does need both replacing though.

YelloDraw Sun 18-Dec-16 13:20:36

But to let you want sturdy, well installed standard stuff that is easy to replace or repair.

Not sure exactly what % - depends on size of bathroom and kitchen.

specialsubject Sun 18-Dec-16 14:20:17

There is a minimum cost for both unrelated to the cost of the house.

Think sturdy and functional - no fashion dirt trap bowl sinks, no high effort wooden worktops, and so on. The same as you would in any house.

Newbrummie Sun 18-Dec-16 14:49:54

That's a good point, I'm actually thinking of just replacing the doors and sink in the kitchen and moving a boiler.
Bathroom has to be totally "done" .,. In the midlands, hoping £5,000 would cover both ?

specialsubject Sun 18-Dec-16 16:27:49

we did a rental house bathroom completely to a high standard for under £400 of parts (suite, shower screen, shower, vinyl floor, wall panels, paint, fittings, pipes etc etc) and that was from empty room having pulled out the old 1970s job. BUT that was with our own labour which is the pricey bit.

check out your local plumbers merchant. It is all in the installation. The bathroom has withstood a serious beating, all we have needed to replace where the towel rail etc which were not designed for use as getting up from the toilet aids.

Newbrummie Sun 18-Dec-16 16:42:31

I thought I'd do the ripping everything out bit and the tiling. I watched the guy do mind last time and frankly it did not look difficult. I'll check those out though, thank you

YelloDraw Mon 19-Dec-16 11:18:41

Bathroom has to be totally "done" .,. In the midlands, hoping £5,000 would cover both?

Again, depends. If you are going to full tile the bathroom it will be more expensive to fit and to buy tiles obvs. But it will look better for longer and your ongoing painting maintenance will be much lower.

Have you ever tiles before? I don't think it is meant to be that easy to get a good finish? Esp if the walls need some attention. Are you in work at the moment? If you are suspect your time is worth more in work, and paying a tiler to do the job much quicker.

Newbrummie Mon 19-Dec-16 15:13:40

Those are all very good points 😁

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now