Advanced search

PigletJohn - question about electrics

(5 Posts)
AverageJosephine Sat 17-Dec-16 10:36:49

I'm hoping PigletJohn or someone who knows about these things can help. There is a site being built beside our house. We've a few acres. The builder wants to connect to our mains tower on our land by laying wire 3ft under the ground of 2 of our fields to connect up the site and the tower. We'd love to help him out if there's no negative impact to our property. Any idea if there's any issue with this situation?

PigletJohn Sat 17-Dec-16 11:20:52

Surely you mean "the electricity company wants to?"

I wouldn't want a builder running supply cables unless under the instruction of the electricity co.

The owner of the electricity network will have standards to work to, and will decide if the supply to your property is suitable to have another property added to it.

I am not familiar with cables laid under fields. They might get ploughed up or damaged by a drainage mole one day.

The developer should apply to the electricity company for a supply, and they should decide where to put it. Then they can take future responsibility for its maintenance.

If you mean you have a pole-mounted transformer, them it may be OK to run another house off it. It would need to have sufficient capacity for your lights not to dim when the neighbours turn on their hot-tub or UFH, I don't know how that is done.

if the builder has already applied for a supply, and this is the electricity co's recommendation, it will probably be OK.

The distribution network in your area is almost certain to be owned by one of these large companies (see map). They are referred to as the DNO.

AverageJosephine Sat 17-Dec-16 23:41:19

Amazing as always. Thank you! Yes I think it's a transformer. And I believe the paperwork he's given us is from the electrical company but I'll check tomorrow.

Tatey25 Tue 20-Dec-16 18:10:09

There is no issue running cables under fields. There are depth standards. LV cables generally 450-600mm below surface. If it's the DNO then they will install everything to their supply regs. Cables to NJUG standards. They will want you to grant a wayleave agreement for the new cable, unless they are relying on an existing easement or wayleave agreement. It shouldn't bother you one bit because the DNO's have to manage supply capacity.

caroldecker Tue 20-Dec-16 19:16:12

Some advice here. make sure they pay you adequately, it may affect the future value of the land.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: